Late night chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    wtf is up with this. this has been a reoccurring thing for me. I had a lesson with a jazz teacher, spent all day really depressed about how this 3c mp is treating me wrong. The 1030 rolls around and suddenly I have a solid high c in my pocket and I am nailing down the vienna philharmonic fanfare. It's happened before several times.

2. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Perhaps late at night you back off to play a bit quieter and the smaller aperture makes it easier.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maybe your early day lesson is toning your lips to be more responsive with more control later in the evening. You do describe an interesting response however.

Additionally, if your mouthpiece was optimial, I am not sure why you could not achieve the same result earlier in the day with your teacher.

I guess another factor in the performance with your teacher is own of anxiety, and perhaps under stress you are not supporting the airflow that you have in a more relaxed state at 10:30 PM.

4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Hmm, I don't play any softer in the day, My breathing tecnique is the same. See, I warm up every morning, and it gets me really down because it's totally unresponsive in the morning. I don't have an idea why. I have tried drinking cold water, warm water, breathing exercises, stretching the mouth muscles, and I still find my tone dispersing towards top line g. Then all of a sudden, it's getting late and the horn is responding better. Then, I watched faddis playing, so I tried shrinking the aperture and then decided to experiment by moving my piece a little further up on the lips, lots of slur freedom, fat low register, really nice highs with the tight aperture. I am hoping I am onto something with this because lately it's just been a lot of BS trying to find an efficient way to play. Another thing I am toying with is how I breathe, instead of just standard breathing, I am really pushing my belly outwards and almost just setting my spine on the air. I swear, it probably looks weird, but I am finding that it gives me kind of an actual tank of air instead of the usual normal breathing. Well, it's late, I spent about two hours organizing my iTunes and didn't even realize that time had disappeared. Thanks for the opinions guys! Still gotta wonder about that late night thing, maybe I was born to gig! hahahaha

5. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    :thumbsup: faddis is absolute god

I listen every single day prior to practice -just to get the feeling what tpt playing should sound like

and than I emulate, and emulate, and emulate, untill chops fell off

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow this is totally interesting! I mean the outcome at 10:30 pm is proof that you have the chops to do it. I mean YOU HAVE the CHOPS. I do not think the there is any hormonal diurnal variation (physiological) that can account for this. Therefore, I really think you have psyched yourself out. I neat experiment to try would be to find a legit hypnotist, invest the bucks for a visit, and have them make you believe it is 10:30 PM every time you play. I am not joking, I am serious. If you were my patient and came to me with this complaint, I would seriously write you a referral for a hypnotic session. Perhaps even your insurance would cover the cost.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It's because you aren't stressed anymore. You relax because the day is just about done and being relaxed equals good trumpet playing.

8. andrew_cz

andrew_cz New Friend

Oct 20, 2010
    Czech Republic
    i dont know who said it, but playing on trumpet is for sure about practising but 90% about psyche

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sigmund Getzen?
    Sternberg Freud?

But who ever it was I believe they also said:
    "Sometimes a trumpet is just a trumpet"

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    LET me say -- I think the good doctor -- ole GM, ole buddy, ole pal -- is just pretty much whacked on this one:shock: MY lips, my bones, my muscles are all pretty tight in the morning--- this old body of mine (46) with some early onset psoriatic arthritis, some gout (oh wow -- more joint problems) -- and some unfortunate heat/humidity type of swelling in the summer --- doesn't really warm up for several hours.
    BUT -- I usually practice at night (9 PM and after) -- when the body has had all day to loosen up, to relax, and then my practices are way better --- in the morning -- my practices are always bad --- and I believe that is NOT psychological -- it is merely a body at rest for 6 or 7 hours, is NOT ready to play the horn ---:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: