Late night chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Jul 29, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Kingtrumpet, do not confuse ailments of tendons and ligaments which you describe (albeit the gout and psoriatic arthritis are more in the differential of inflammatory disease) with NORMAL muscle function.

A healthy long distance runner knows that they can get just as much performance on a morning run than an evening run. This is because they are working healthy muscle. The same is true about trumpet players, as my mantra is muscle [healthy] is muscle [healthy]. Good toned healthy lip muscle will respond to a good warm up no matter what time of day demand is required of them.

I myself never have found a variation in my performance level that relates to time of day, as long as my brain if alert and functioning and I have had the right amount of rest.

So do not confuse our readers with the poorly toned, arthritic invalid (Kingtrumpet) with the highly toned, athletic performers (everybody else on TM). We don't want any of the newbies here thinking they half to start out like the old decrepit KT.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and NOW we would have to take a poll on the number of people who are "morning people" or "NOT morning people" -- some people obvious perform better in the mornings, while other perform better a bit later on.
    I am sure there are all sort of reasonings-- from mental acuity in the morning, to body chemistry and how that functions after sleeping (and the natural rythm of the body to be a a different state during rest than when it assumes "awake" conscious status) --
    be it as it may --a majority of people have to have a pick me up to get started ---- ie. some people inject or more properly ingest various stimulating drugs to enhance their performance when they wake up (ie. caffeine in the morning cup of joe --- which by the way is an artificial stimulant to what????? enhance mental alertness, body function, blood flow, etc.????

all things being fair --- even in your mind --- you would have to admit that we need a double blind study, with a control group to test your hypothesis that everyone here on TM is able to perform at peak performance at any time of day -- especially in the morning ((without drugs to enhance their bodily functions)):shock::shock::shock:

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Try this, warm up softly using a Whispa or practice mute.Rest often while doing this.Reinhardt used to call this his "Stuffy Mute Routine" and Bob McCoy used to call it "Mute Therapy " .

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Methinks she just likes to be played with..... late at night.

5. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    :bravo:

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A poll is not going to prove anything KT, so I do not recommend going this route.

Once again this logic dose not hold for athlete's use of muscle training, why do you think that muscles in the lip would be any different physiologically. The same tension that works skeletal muscle, cardiac muscle and smooth muscle is minimally effected by the time of day. Only the psyche is impacted by day/night variation.

Not sure how you can double blind someone to the time of day, unless you put them in a room without windows, take away time pieces, and start the experiment after a several day run in period. This constitutes torture. KT did you work at Guantanamo?

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    1.) -- a poll would only prove that some people VIEW themselves as morning people and others afternoon or later people --whether that is physiological or psychological doesn't matter ---- it is a persons opinion of when they perform best ---- AND IT IS A VALID OPINION:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    2.) -- Guantanamo yielded information and results --- and made the world a safer place. AND only bleeding heart liberals are blind enough to think that was not a good thing - but those bleeding hearts want to destroy America anyhow, even if they do it from the inside out ------- Wars, no matter how tragic -- are won by killing, destoying things, and rendering the enemy unable to fight back. (I prefer to have NO WARS). The 2 wars that most people can relate to that validate this are WWI and WWII.

Korean War, Vietnam War) --what???? oh yes - waging humane war:shock::shock::shock:

many very brave soldiers died, many are mamed and wounded, many POW's and MIA's never returned -- they are the HERO's --- they put it on the line --- they are NOT the argument --- but the politicians???? -- A humane war???? A political war???? a Necessary War?????

NOW you got me going ----- the world has some of the brightest, most capable people of the world (on both sides -if I must say) designing what??? more weapons, bigger weapons, chemical weapons, nuclear weapons, etc. ---- and only if these people were going to design something humane, or work on cures for cancer or various other diseases, --- water desalination, renewable energy, etc. --- you name it there are valid scientific pursuits available to mankind ---MORE VALID than scientists coming up with new was of trying to kill every one - everywhere:shhh:

sorry I got out of hand again:shhh:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh, OK, KT, we need to titrate down on those attention deficit disorder meds I see. So my original point, if you can stick to it: Why do you want to torture us trumpet players with a light deprivation study? We are a rather mellow, introverted, harmless lot.... Ahh, OK would you at least believe harmless.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I play best in the early morning so long as I got a good night's sleep. When I practise late at night (after 11pm or so), if I'm tired I find my tone and accuracy suffers... essentially the opposite to the OP.

--bumblebee

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are often symptoms noticed that have NOTHING to do with what is really going on.

First of all, if we were talking about "extreme" range, the bodies condition my have something to do with it. In the case of a high C, we are not talking about "special" muscle tone or technique due to being tired. I would even venture to say that if the teacher was worth his salt, that the thread owner could accomplish the same thing at any other time during the day.

I do not buy the idea that one is "generally" more relaxed in the evening. Any player that has talked themselves into a high C only after 10 at night, does not need a picture of Jon Faddis, they need more time in the shed during the day. Any "habits" - good or bad that we have formed are available all day.

Born to gig means turning it on at will.

My guess: the teacher changed the order of what was played during the lesson - "hitting" high notes came earlier.