Lateral Alignment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmanic, Jul 15, 2017.

1. crowmanic

crowmanic Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    Keep'm coming..............

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    My take is that manufacturers don't make misaligned valves part of the design. Ensuring valve alignment puts your instrument as close as possible to the original design and provides the benefits intended by the manufacturer.

3. Bflatman

Bflatman Mezzo Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    I take your point JJ but I see other things too.

In england we have snooker, when professionals play they can request the white is cleaned. Some professionals have the white cleaned after every stroke, they play a stroke then have the white cleaned then play a stroke then have the white cleaned then play a stroke then have the white cleaned................

It seems that there is little benefit to having the white cleaned this often, it seems to be just a palliative. Might there be a similar palliative effect here. How much difference does a millimeter inaccuracy of alignment actually make. Is there a noticeable improvement by having accurate alignment. Or are we simply tilting at windmills.

Furthermore, when I look at the alignment on my instruments at the low point, when the valve stops moving, restrained by the felt, it is not aligned, if I then press harder the valve moves more as the felt is compressed by my increased finger pressure. I can make the valve move another millimeter or more by just pressing harder and the badliy aligned valve suddenly becomes more accurately aligned.

When I place an instrument with a tech for alignment he adjusts it using felt washers, but he adjusts it for the pressure he assumes I will be using. If the tech positions the valve for a different pressure than I use, then the valve will be adjusted correctly for him but will not be adjusted correctly for me. This makes a nonesense of valve alignment.

I may use different pressure at different times depending on how enthusiastic I am during play. So I may have variable alignment and with variabilty accuracy is impossible. The only fix for this would be to use steel or plastic rigid washers to set the alignment, and this would then create unacceptable loud clicking as the valve hits the washer.

Does this not render accurate alignment pointless, because it is in fact variable depending on who is operating the valves and how strongly. The benefits that are assumed to come from valve alignment may never in fact exist.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 3:29 AM
  4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    This is why so many manufacturers use neoprene for the top cap washer (downstroke). It is not as compressible as felt so variations in finger pressure have negligible effect on travel distance.

J. Jericho, Dale Proctor and Bflatman like this.
  5. Bflatman

Bflatman Mezzo Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Bingo

Thanks trumpetplus you extended my understanding

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Alignment can make a huge difference in the way a horn plays. If I like the way a horn plays I wouldn't mess with the alignment. But I have had trumpets come through my shop that were stuffy playing dogs. After an alignment there was significant improvement. When a trumpet plays badly alignment is a good thing to check. I have done it for years with a mirror, but lately I've been using a bore scope. I just wish I could find one is small enough to go through the bell crook. Perhaps a used endoscope? ;)

stumac likes this.
  7. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Getting through the bell crook is difficult because the length of the rigid portion of most borescopes won't follow through the bend.

I use a an inter-dental scope that looks sideways into the ports from the casing.

8. crowmanic

crowmanic Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    Thanks for that info Ivan. I'm sure the inter dental scope is more expensive than the inspection bore scope at Harbor Freight $60+.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    image.jpeg Here's what I use...

J. Jericho likes this.
  10. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    $25. Can't find them again. I had to shave away a lot of the case to get it into the valve casing.