lateral valve adjustment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Dec 1, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Can anyone describe how a lateral valve adjustment is made. I'm not looking for discouragement. I merely want to know if and how the top portion of the valve body (the stem that houses or holds the spring) turns, as it is the only logical way to make the adjustment without cutting a new stop notch in the casing, or building a new stem or valve. Even then you'd have to get the old one out..............crow

2. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    A couple of ways to adjust/control the lateral alignment:

1. Machine newer valve guides that correct the alignment and reduce the "play" or excess movement.

1. Resolder the valve spring barrel/canister to the bottom/port section of the valve.

The above can be done wth top sprung valves. I have no idea how it is done with bottom sprung valves.

Garry

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    gchun,
    I'm dealing with an Olds Ambassador cornet. There isn't much play in the valve guide. Definately not enough to bring it into alignment. Doesn't the sping barrel screw into the bottom port section? If not I guess that means I have to heat/break the existing solder joint and then re-solder it correctly. Have you ever done this?.........thanks, crow

4. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Crow-

I haven't touched an Ambassador in ages so I don't quite accurately remember it's construction. I personally have never done any alignments. I was just told by a repairman how the lateral issues could be addressed on horns designed like a Bach or Schilke. Reeves has done all mine for me, but never for a Ambassador.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Garry

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Careful, Crow! The inside of the valve is filled with, as far as I know, solder--out of alignment valves are better than no valves at all, unless you want to build an Olds Ambassador Bugle!

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    vulgano, I think I'll take your advice. I'm going to create a thread related to lateral alignment.........crow

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    My fixation on valve alignment is a thing in the past..........crow