Lawler Cornet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bruce Lee, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    We often don't hear a lot about Roy Lawler's cornets. Ted Sparks plays a Lawler briefcase model cornet, with a SPARX cornet piece... go figure! 8)

Anyways, I thought that I would share a picture of a Lawler cornet that Roy made for a customer of mine. It's really nice!

[​IMG]

2. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I am drooling. I need one of those NOW. I am accepting donations! :lol:

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yeah...that's what I wanted too, until I saw the price! :p I still want one though...perhaps after the kids are finished with University.

4. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hiya, Tootsall!

I'm invoking the "oooopppss" clause! ( :shock: Sorry.... pet peeve!)

Here are just a very few prices for other instruments/tools of the trade; all professional line:

Yamaha Flute: $3,958.00
    Yamaha Alto Sax: $4,000.00
    Tenor: $4,300.00
    Bari: $8,600.00
    Bassoons:
    Fox: $14,500.00 to $17,000.00
    Clarinets:
    Buffet: R-13 "Green Line": $3,492.00 - $3640.00

All of the above are Pro, and most are on the "low-side", as far as cost is concerned. Also, keep in mind that a HUGE corporation, like Yamaha, that sells motorcycle, jet-ski's, appliances, etc., can afford to offer their items at a discounted rate to their dealers. In fact, most professionals are on MUCH higher quality instruments than the ones listed above!

For the "reed suckers", add the annual cost of reeds... something that "they" take for granted. Box of 10 - Sax: $10.00 - $25.00 (Rico - very average quality.) Additionally, note that out of a box of 10, 5 or 6 may be of reasonable consideration, or a "good one". So, not being a "reed sucker" myself, I would "guesstimate" the annual cost from $250.00 to $500.00, for a working professional. We won't even go into what they might pay for a custom mouthpiece. Oh, heck... I brought it up, why not? Let's just mention Tenor Sax mouthpieces; reasonable professional, worth consideration: $300.00 to $500.00 - WW&BW - discounted.

Wonder why it is so difficult to fund an orchestra? Firstly, throw out the "wild card" cost of a musical education. Next, let's just take a "sneak peak" at what violinists might pay for their "reasonably good quality" professional "tools of the trade":

Bow: $8,000.00 - $12,000.00
    Violin: $60,000.00 - $80,000.00

Sooo..... see how ridiculously spoiled WE are? Especially since we are talking about "custom built" trumpets... not to mention mouthpieces that we can use every day.

Since we like to "justify" the outrageous cost of our instruments, here's a good analogy.:

How much would you pay for a riding lawnmower? (Cuz we KNOW we're not pushing one... NO WAY!) And, how often would you mow? Golf courses tend to mow fairways, tees, and collars... twice a week, and greens... three times a week. Too much work for a trumpet player!!! :wink: Once or twice a week... MAX... for a 6 to 12 month season, depending upon climate. Add gas, oil, and maintenance. You do the math.

There ya have it, sports fans! I COULD go on. 8)

No offense, Ed! :wink:

Steppin' down from the "Soap Box",
    Bruce

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Uhh..."Riding Lawnmower"? What the hell is THAT!??? Isn't that why we have kids? To mow the lawn?

(up here a "riding snowblower" would be more appropriate; especially so far this year!)

Edit: Anyway...I failed to make myself clear and as a result believe I left the impression that I thought the Lawler cornet was TOO expensive. Far from it. The problem I had is that, "for what I wanted to pay and the amount of playing that I do" I couldn't justify buying that high a quality or class of cornet. I have had the chance to snag a Schilke XA1 and the same logic applied in that case (it would have been about $1,200 US used). When I bought the Getzen I was seriously cosidering a Kanstul Custom Class or even Signature cornet; again...when you apply the exchange rate that starts to be getting awful close to "oh the wife is gonna kill me now money". And since the cornet would be of no use to me if I were dead..... I opted for a life sentence instead. :D

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I noticed this brush finish seems to be the rage these days. Just yesterday I saw A Conn Vintage One Flugel that had a similar finish.

Looks Good

TM

7. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The finish on the Lawler cornet pictured in this thread is actually satin lacquer, which is achieved by "bead-blasting" process. This particular cornet features a rose brass bell, which contrasted with a yellow brass body, and shiny "knuckles", as well as the inside of the bell, makes for a truly stunning looking instrument!

Bruce

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    That finish is a beaut all right. IMO, much nicer than "scratch" or "brush". VERY satin. Like the bright highlights too....with the possible exception of adding some gold plate "here and there" that'd (bead blast lacquer/bright lacquer) be my preferred choice overall for the "unique" horn. Definitely a fantastic value "for the money" if one wanted something different.

9. sparxIII

sparxIII New Friend

Nov 1, 2003
    Toronto ON Canada
    Lawler Cornets

Just how many Lawler cornets does one man need??

FOR SALE ......... LAWLER SILVER LB BRIEFCASE MODEL CORNET

Readers of this site may know that I own 2 Lawler Bb cornets and a Lawler sop. So it's time to sell off this Lawler '2000' cornet.

-includes metal 'briefcase'----- mod. by Roy for this cornet.
    - LB silver plate is 99% (a little brass on the 1st. finger button)
    -0 dents
    -Reeves valve job
    -Amado W/Ks
    ******* free SPARX Cornet mp.******

emails offers to.. [email protected]

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003