Lawler TL1

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tampahorn, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Tampahorn

Tampahorn New Friend

Jan 10, 2004
    Tampa florida
    Was on the Lawler website and noticed the changes in differnt trumpet models. I was intrigued that the tl1 is no longer included as a standard model, even though it has been one of the most popular set-ups. Just curious.

2. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Roy told me the TL6 was replacing the TL1. Maybe he can give us some insight on change.

3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The TL6R-1A uses the body of the TL1, with the bell of the TL6, in rose brass. It is a very versatile setup, in that it offers the playing characteristics of the TL1, with the sound quality of the TL6... a perfect match for most players. It features a rounded tuning slide and bell bow, with a more open bell throat than on the TL1. That, combined with the 1A leadpipe provide for a very nicely balanced horn.

Other changes for this year include the TL5-1A, which features a slightly more open bell throat. This results in a horn that will provide a better blend for the Lead player, without losing the projection qualities that the TL5 is known for.

The longer that Roy Lawler is in business, the more he is able to react to the desires of trumpet players. The Lawler TL6R-1A is a model of horn that Roy feels is the current design trend which the majority of trumpet players are seeking, in terms of a sound quality, and playability.

I hope that these explanations are helpful. Please feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions regarding the current Lawler trumpet models. Thanks!

Best always,
    Bruce

4. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Bruce,

Will the #1 bell still be an option?

5. rank_amateur

rank_amateur New Friend

Jan 11, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Like Dan, I'm curious if the #1 bell will still be available at all, even though it looks as though I got one of the last TL1's.

It was my understanding that the #1 bell was Roy's closest to the Bach 37. I also thought that the #6 bell was considerably brighter than the #1. Does this indicate an abandonment of the "legit" market altogether in favor of the "commercial" market?

Just curious...

6. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The TL1 bell will remain available if the customer desires it. The TL6 bell has the same design, with the rounded bell bow (like the TL1 bell), yet it has a 4 3/4" bell diameter, instead of a 4 7/8" diameter, as is found on the TL1. The difference in diameter is basically the size of the bell bead, along with a slightly more open bell throat.

Some players have felt that the sound is a bit brighter than they like, with the TL1 bell. The TL6 bell, with its slightly more open bell throat gives them the sound that they are looking for. The rose brass bell of the TL6R-1A further enhances the sound.

I hope that this answers your concerns. Please let me know if further clarification is needed. Thanks!

Best always,
    Bruce

Best always,
    Bruce

7. rank_amateur

rank_amateur New Friend

Jan 11, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for your response, Bruce. I had it backwards: the #1 bell is brighter than the #6. Somehow I had turned that around in my mind. Personally, I've never felt the #1 was particularly bright, but then again I play almost exclusively on a Curry TF mp.