Lawler TL6-1A or the Yamaha 8335RGS

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bourbon City, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I need some good sound advice and I need it quickly. I love the sound and the playability of my Yamaha 8335 RSG but I now have the opportunity to buy a Lawler TL6-1A.

Are these two horns very similiar in sound and tonal qualities? Reading about the TL6 it appears to sound dark and full like RGS. What do you think?

Can any of you give me a quick comparison and maybe a reccomendation?

I really would like a recommendation in this matter.

(Then there is the formidable Lawler model T that is in the picture too. Darn my problems.)

PS: I've been wanting a Lawler for over a year.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'll throw another monkey wrench in

The Lawler C7. Check THAT out on Roy's site.
    It plays nice and dark, yet really brightens up when you push it.

I used to play a Schilke B6 before the C7 and the Lawler has a darker and more centered sound.

-cw-

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I went from a Yamaha 6345 to a Lawler 6R-1A. The differences are incredible for me in terms of sound. The Lawler is richer, darker and easier to play in tune in all registers. The valves are the smoothest and quietest I've tried, including Kanstul, Bach, Schilke and other Yamahas.

It is even blowing, consistent, and again, pitch center is very easy to find.

I do find that the main tuning slide is much farther in that it used to be on the Yamaha.

The TL's are custom horns; which means you call Roy and tell him what you want out of a horn, what type of playing you do the most, what features you want (rings/hooks, amado/regular spit valves, finish type, etc). He also gaps according to the mouthpiece you use. Then, you have a week to play it and have any adjustments made. (He nailed it the first time for me...no adjustments necessary!) Or, better still, you go visit his shop and try many different combinations until you play on what you feel is best for you. At any rate, he will spend a good deal of time with you and make sure it is right for you.

The standard models are built to the same degree in terms of quality; the price reflects the difference in the amount of time he spends with you ahead of build time. Still an outstanding bargain for a hand made horn that you call up and talk to the builder of. (That's an awkward sentence; sorry for that!)

I would say go with the Lawler, 'cause I did, but you must make your decision based on what you want out of a horn. Enjoy the process...try as many as you can get your hands on, even if you don't intend on buying them. That will help you focus your decision and narrow down what you want.

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I'll tell ya what, Dale. When you get your horn through Lawler, I'll drop by his shop and give it my blessings for ya? :lol:

(I've been meaning to drop by Decatur for about six months now).

Van

5. Mikester

Mikester New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    MI
    My most recent Lawler. My 6th!

[​IMG]

BookTrumpeter likes this.
  6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Sounds to me like Dale has a chance to nab a Lawler off the open market at a good price. I'd say "go for it"... if you don't like it, resell it.

7. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My Lawler is on it's way. :D Roy, the fine gentleman that he is, has given me a five day trial maybe because he has been making a Model T for me before this TL6 came on the market. You know, I don't think I will not like it. I don't think it will be returned. I think it will be a keeper. It will stay.

While this horn was not originally built for me, I am adopting it as my own. Adoption is good. Maybe it is fate that this horn came to me. Last November I contacted Roy about a trumpet. However, I had to not buy one at that time. This trumpet was made last November. The time mine would have been made. Fate? This trumpet will be used to Praise our Lord Jesus.

Actually, I feel as if the Lawler is adopting me; to play it and take care of it. I will be a part of an elite family. Like Tootsall and Silverstar with their Eclipses, it will be me, Mikester and orthers with our Lawlers. :welcome:

I will be the guardian of a Lawler Trumpet, when my time comes and the day is here to pull the mouthpiece from my lips, the Lawler will be passed on to some other player and care giver. :grouphug:

I wonder if Roy will invite me to Thanksgiving next year? :think: