Lawler TL6R 1A

Discussion in 'Horns' started by jsou, Nov 18, 2003.

1. jsou

jsou New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Boston
    Recently got my Lawler back from Roy. I purchased it from Bruce Lee in July. After fretting over the raw brass finish for a few months I realized that it wasn't for me so I sent it to Roy to have it plated. Roy also did some custom "tweaks" for me before sending it to his platers. Here it is in brushed gold brass.

http://users.adelphia.net/~jsou/Lawler.html

This horn plays so beautifully and now it looks as good as it sounds!

Thanks Roy & Bruce...and Trent for the original recommendation!

2. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    That thing looks fabulous!! You have a wonderful horn, another fine example of Roy's work.

3. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Lawler TL6r-1a

Johnny,

What custom tweaks did Roy do for you? I see you had him add the thumb ring. I had him move mine to more of an angle. I'm also very pleased with the STS conversion. It actually made a very responsive horn more responsive. It also added to the versatility, by allowing me to add a Strad 37 bell for matching the strads in my section.

4. jsou

jsou New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Boston
    Dan,

Roy changed the 1st slide hook to a ring, put in lighter action valve springs, moved the 3rd slide ring out about 1/4" and took the receiver off and tightened the venturi just a little for me. It gives me just a little more to push against and now it feels perfect.

-Johnny

5. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Johnny,

Cool, It's amazing what a custom horn maker will do for his customers.
    Does the tighter venturi play like a 1 leadpipe or is it a little larger? I had Roy tweak my horn a little. It was very interesting to watch him work. He is not happy until it is exactly right.

6. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, Johnny!

Wow... nice lookin' horn! Looks a whole lot different than the raw brass model that walked out my door. 8) Thanks for sharing the pics with everyone!

I wouldn't have to think twice now, Dan. :wink: That's the finish!

It's nice being a dealer for people like Roy Lawler, Leigh McKinney, and Lee Adams. Everyone listens, and customers are happier!

I hope that I can make it to one of your gigs, Johnny. Pictures are great, but often don't do the real thing justice. Looks great!

Best always,
    Bruce