lazy players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Mar 5, 2009.

1. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    my high school had a concert tonight and one of our trumpeters were out of tune because hasnt been practicing all year. me and my fellow trumpet players are tired of it. so my question to you is, how can we get him to practice?

2. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    If you are in HS, the season is over in 2 months, right? I don't think that in a HS band, you can really force anyone to practice more. Why don't you try scheduling some sectionals, where you can add input--constructive input.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    When he DOES come to practice, give him the solos.

4. Archer1945

Archer1945 New Friend

Mar 4, 2009
    Missouri
    You don't say what years you are in HS or how many are in the trumpet section. However I have to agree the best way to get someone to uphold their part is to have sectionals so they will find out just what they do have to do.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Tedh1951,
    "When he does come to practice give him the solos". Oh my God what a great idea for slackers.
    Trumpet 101, learn the term schdenfreude!! and know its OK to feel that way about slackers who pull you down.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sorry Markie, I think I've missed your point - online dictionaries don't recognise the term "schdenfreude". Can you enlighten me some more please?

7. Artemisia

Artemisia Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    Schadenfreude

8. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Such hostility, let's keep it nice ;)

Reason with him, show him the possibility and advantages of being a well trained player. You can never FORCE someone to practice (even in Sectionals, trust me I've seen some players slack then too). If he holds back the section too bad confiede in your director. He/She can dock points off his grade, or make him improve or he's out of the band. I've seen this done. If he doesn't care enough to try, then he'll not be heart broken over being kick out of the band.

Hope this problem is resolved.

9. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    does your high school band not meet daily to practice? and if not doesn't the director at least make you guys meet weekly?

i would remind him of the old mantra, "we're only as strong as our weakest link". remind him that you guys are putting on a performance for everyone, especially your own family; something you want them to be proud of. his not practicing is robbing the entire band of that honor.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    oops!! my bad. poor spelling on my part. Thanks Artemisia.
    Schadenfreude

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009