lazy players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Mar 5, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    German was never a strong language with me. If I remember correctly I passed the class with a 74% :(
    I passed spanish with a 98% though :)

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I know how you feel but it is really up to the director to take care of the situation. Just a thought from an old guy.

3. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Might I suggest lipsync? :)

4. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Many of my students have band practice each day. Therefore, if he is not going to take his instrument home, at least he is going to get some lip time. Unfortunately band is only required for one year in many school systems to full fill the Humanities requirement. If you attend class each day and do not cause problems for the director, you most likely will get an "A" for the grade. This student most likely is in the last section, last chair, or close to it.

I hear some of the same complaints from some of my students...

Those interested in band/music will most likely continue for the next 3 years until graduation. This is unfortunate, but a fact of life.

5. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    perhaps this person isn't encouraged by their parents or worse, the parents get mad at all the "noise" The suggestion about having sectionals is good because at least that's another chunk of time that that person is going to play.
    Is your band counted as an actual class? If so, as part of the class grade your director could require the parents to initial a practice log showing that time spent at home throughout the week. If parents know what's expected they can help encourage their kids to put in the extra time.
    Another thing may be that this person doesn't know how to practice properly. Some people will pratice at the tempo they feel and at times it's faster when the director conducts. Another pitfall can be that sa they play a piece of music they'll stop and go back each time they make a mistake. It's always important to keep playing through a mistake, so that if you're in this habit and a mistake is made in a performance, you're able to continue without getting lost and making more mistakes.
    Also if there are positive aspects of that person's playing a compliment on that area may make them feel accepted and make them more inclined to not want to let you down in the future.

Or they may not give a crap and there's nothing you can really do about it.

6. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Greg, I think that the last line you wrote hits the situation on the head. The other point is the parents. They probably do not care about the noise so much, but encouragement...that depends on the parents. Unless the parents are Band Boosters, they are probably somewhat in the background. Unfortunately this is becoming more true in our educational system now a days. My wife is an administrator with the local school system and she cringes at what goes on in the classroom. During conferences the parents state: 'it is YOUR responsibility, not ours'. This is becoming more evident. However, in defense, not all parents are of that attitude.

7. mindstormer398

mindstormer398 New Friend

Mar 5, 2009
    I have this same problem with a kid in our wind ensemble (6 trpts). He could be amazing if he practiced. And he does practice, but only for auditions. So he ends up playing 1st part, but he screws up over and over at the concerts...

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Maybe it is the parents. Or maybe you just don't know what other issues that player might be wrestling with in his adolescence. Those years can be extremely challenging even without a trumpet.

Maybe someone should make overtures and try to get to know this kid as a friend, and possibly find out what his struggles really are. How he plays (or practices) might be an indication of real troubles in his life, and it would be a shame to miss an opportunity to help him with stuff which could be way more important than playing the trumpet.

veery

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sorry - I've expressed myself poorly - I was searching for a way to bring self-awareness to the 'lazy player', not punishment or embarrassment - that's unlikely to achieve your goal. What about a simple, quiet, non threatening discussion among the section - stay focussed, don't get personal, this is a collective problem and should probably led by your band director. Oh, I wouldn't use German expressions too much either.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If he wants to play lumberjack then he needs to cut his share of the log. I have little tolerance for a poor work ethic (lazy).
    You guys need to ask yourselves, is the person's underdevelopment due to the individual not knowing what to do? If so, then you guys can help him with it!! That would be totally cool and the best.
    However, if his work ethic is poor, then all your help won't amount to a hill of beans.
    Ask the person how you can help.
    As for shadenfreude, save it for the annual Ohio State / Michigan football game.