lazy players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I think you and the rest of the section should talk to your band director , maybe this kid just isn't that talented and needs more one on one time with him/her, then again a lot of times in the school programs they have to show bodies in the band to keep it going, so there will always be players and horn holders.

2. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    If some one has or hasn't a talent for the instrument the fact that they don't put the effort in most of the time means they have no interest in playing . I knew people who had no talent for the trumpet but still they practiced hard and others who had talent and just threw it away for the lack of interest . If your not up to scratch you should not be playing at a concert , practice sessions yes !!!. simple as.

3. spit_valve

spit_valve New Friend

Aug 2, 2008
    Hopefully the Director notices and his lack of commitment is reflective in his grade for band.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    So now my take:
    what is the real problem? It is not the fact that this person does not practice. It is the asocial attitude that this non practicing person comes in and IGNORES the group dynamics that the practicing players have built. What do we do with people that don't shower or have lice or don't do homework? Whose job is it to tell all of those people that they are falling short of common sense goals?

The real problem here is that society in general beats around the bush to not hurt somebodies feelings, or in the case of a teacher that tells a student "you (literally) stink", the lawyer that comes in the next day with a mobbing charge.

If the band director has a policy of beating around the bush - forget it. There is little that can be done with the asocial. If there is an active policy based on clear performance goals, then this dude ends up somewhere where little damage can occur.

Another possibility would be to try and change the attitude. This is not impossible but tougher as there are infinite factors involved like family, schedule, personal ambition and just plain talent. Assuming that time is not the problem - offer to play duets. The band director could offer performance points for that type of extracurricular activity!

Bottom line: as long as we are not able to call stupid stupid, lazy lazy, spoiled spoiled, ignorant ignorant, asocial asocial..................... we are being robbed of the most critical tool to solve a problem. That tool is called "defining the present situation". A bad definition leads to bad solutions. I really believe that we need to be able to establish standards like showered. If someone stinks, the solution is quite simple IF we are free to address it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi rowuk,
    I think you're spot on. We have to be able to identify behaviors and give it the appropriate term. Often people(society) confuse labeling a behavior with labeling the person. Lazy is a behavior.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Rowuk, Yes, I agree that in many ways we are to nice. Sometimes a "dope slap" is needed. As far as the "lazy" player. If this was a sports team, how would you treat him. Sit him on the bench, Tell him not to play, fake it. Not just you but the whole section should confront him as a group. It doesn't matter why he doesn't practce. He is dragging the whole section down. If this was a footbal team and he wasn't doing his job, how would the team captains handle it. The 1st chair is the section captains. Be respectful. It's not personal.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Great analogy. If a music teacher benches the player, the parents get mad because their poor child is being mobbed. On the sports team, where BEATING the competition is the goal, no parent would dare challenging the sports directors opinion. If the team lost, they would have to eat crow.

8. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    i talked to my band director today and were having tests on monday and tuesday, if someone cant pass it off by there self, hes giving them the boot.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Finally! In addition to being a performer I've been a music contractor for 19 years. I get to fire players who don't have the right attitude.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009