Lead / Commercial Trumpet Playing: West Coast vs. East Coast

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Anonymous, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I'd like to get your opinion on what you think about the difference between the styles of playing of those on the East Coast NY vs. The West Coast LA. There seems to me to be different styles of playing and some differnet sounds. Both sound great. I liken it to the way the Chicago Symphony might play something vs. The NY PHil. Or the LA Phil vs the NY Phil. Both sound great but both are different. Just curious to get your opinion on this. I hope I am clear. I'll ad more later.

TM

2. bnbtrpt

bnbtrpt Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2003
    Good topic TM. I have thought about this in length myself. I am originally from Los Angeles and now live/work in new york city. I would say there is a big difference. I am going to give my short answer because I want to hear what other people have to say about it as well. The style in the west coast (in my opinion) perhaps is built around the whole recording thing out there. Great ensemble playing, more big bandish type of style. In the east coast bands seem to have more of an emphasis on jazz/improve type of playing with less of an emphasis on ensemble playing. Most broadway shows require a trumpet player to be very well rounded in many styles. Just a thought. Both cities have GREAT players by the way

jd

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanks bnb. Intersting points. I am looking forward to learning some things on this thread.

Quick question.

As someone who has lived and played on both coasts do you notice any major differences in equipment choices between the coasts? Trumpets / Mouthpieces etc etc?

TM

4. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Equipment Choices

Guess it depends on "when" you are talking about.

"There was a day" ... the working guys in NYC were primarily "Bach" players, of course there are / were exceptions. And the LA guys used Calicchios (too, exceptions).

"Present day" ... Does LV, NV count as west coast? Those guys, well a majority of the "working players" there play Scodwell trumpets. Of course they are made there!

Larry, the moderator of the Calicchio Forum, can speek about the LA area. Perhaps a reader from the NYC area can jump in!

I live in Southern FL. There is a varity ... a few Schilkes, Calicchios, Conns, Yamaha's, I play Scodwell, but I see a lot of Bachs on gigs. Farther north I've seen Lawlers. ( nice horns BTW ).

Regards,

Michael