"Lead Horns"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey guys (gals),
    I am bored and was listenin' to some Bobby Shew and had a thought... so I went to www.trumpetstuff.com and started lookin' at the equipment that those foxls play on. Trumpet players are equipment geeks. Anyways, I noticed that there was no trend in the lead playes horns. For example some played on Bachs, while others were on yamaha's, etc.
    So the question for this thread is: What horn do you like for lead appications (Rock band, jazz band, marching, etc.) AND WHY?!

I'll go first since I started this. I have played on a Benge, but I was too young to remmeber too much about it. Then I went to a Bach, it was a stadard 180/ML/37 combo. It was a fine horn but I wanted something else. So I bought a Callet Jazz.. Amazing horn, wonderful projections, clear high overtones, just a good bright (but not overly obnoxious) lead sound. Then I wanted to try somethin else so I switched to a Zeus Olympus. I like it, reminds me of the Callet.

So some of you pros out there, focusing speciffialy on sound (exclude style, range, etc) what do you look for? I'm close to graduation and will lookin' for a job soon and I would just LOVE to play shows somewhere... I've always had the cross between Chase and Doc as my desired sound... I hope all this made since. I'm tired, off to bed. Adios.

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, even though I just got it, I can tell you right now that it's my Olds Studio. Why? Well, it's good a clear focused tone that doesn't overpower the band, until I open up the throttle a bit, and then it has a sizzle to it that makes me smile. I have tried to emulate the tone of Harry James (no sense in shooting low, huh 8) ), and I still have a ways to go. I recently acquired an Olds 3, and will probably start using it, as it's slightly shallower in the cup than the 3C.

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I knew you'd like the Studio, Michael... :D

You know, I've never thought of emulating another player's sound. I've always just played until I thought it sounded good to me. Shoot, if you can't please yourself, how can you please an audience?

Speaking of which, I needs to practice for my recital!!! :shock:

Van

4. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Even though I'm not a pro in any sense of the word, I'll go ahead and post what I look for in a horn (DAMMIT, I'm opinionated!).

I want a horn with a free blow, I DESPISE resistance in any form or fashion (Every time I play on a Bundy, I shudder and my toes curl up). I want a horn with impeccable slotting, so I am a big fan of heavy horns, and plan on buying some Curry Caps (as soon as the jerks at my University's business office cut me that refund check I've been drooling over). I want a horn with spot-on intonation, almost to where I feel like I'm holding the horn back, lol. I want a horn that can have its darkness or brightness manipulated with ease, one that can stick it out there as a lead, or can blend with the Bach masses. An axe that can be used on the jazz or orchestral field of battle. I want a horn with a good high range and low range tolerance. I also want the horn to look unique, to stick out of the crowd. Some detailed engraving wouldn't hurt, either.

Of course, I have had yet to find a horn that can top the 1503 (It does all of what I've stated, though I STILL need some caps, dangit!), though the Ambassador is the surprising second place! When I finally start doing that voodoo that I am going to do with it (lol), I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

Van

5. pmkt16

pmkt16 New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm gonna have to go with my Conn 48B Vocabell for my lead playing. I still can't believe that I found this horn in the condition I got it in and it plays like a dream. Nice Bright sound and the vocabell let's you push it so it works really well for leadplaying.

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Hey Bear,

A ZeuS Olympus!

This question is like which mouthpiece is best for lead playing. Who knows? There are so many variables -- but most importantly is the player. I started selling Kanstul because they have some many great horns to choose from. But so does Eclipse, Schilke, Bach, Stomvi, Lawler, Edwards, Monette ..... you get the picture.

I got a very nice email from Tim Wendt about the TW model by Kanstul. No nickel, all brass for greater "efficiency" is how he described it. I have heard some pros want a lot of nickel in the horn to make it bright and cutting. Thin bells, thick bells, different alloys, ... the options available boggle the mind at times.

I think a lead horn must slot well up high, have great articulation, and be able to be pushed without breaking up. That horn is going to be different for everyone I do believe. I think the Coliseum by Kanstul (the ultimate marching trumpet) with its big bore (470) and openness might be the ticket for some (and is relatively inexpensive).

For others, a small bore with some resistance will be just the ticket. I learned to play on a horn that had a lot of resistance, so guess what? -- I like horns with a little resistance - very open horns feel uncomfortable to me. But I am me.

So play some horns -- have some fun. You never know what you might like.

Jim

7. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Great way to say it!

Bear,

Play on EVERY SINGLE horn you ever get a chance to play on! You may be surprised at how your opinion on the perfect horn changes with each new horn you try!

For your particular wants, I would suggest a light bell, maybe sterling silver to help get that extra edge or sizzle. Lighter bells make a HUMONGOUS difference in how the horn performs!

Also, go for a bigger bore (.464 - .470), since you want a dominating sound that won't break up when you're put in the situation where the band won't play under your solo, and you have to show em who's boss! The big bore takes some getting used to, however.

In any event, get the Blackburn 19 or 20. Try both of them, you'll love one of them guaranteed. The 19 wants to push you into the higher range, and the 20 gives you a focused sound with impeccable slotting.

Amados are your own choice. Some people like the spitty sound the Amados will produce quickly. Some don't. The people at Blackburn said they found Amado's improved intonation. Dunno if that true, but the people at Blackburn seem to know what they're doing, so I won't argue. I'm no brass tech. A popular choice is having regular water key on the main tune slide, and an amado on the 3rd valve slide. That way, you get the best of both worlds, and it looks cool, too.

Of course, I would go and put an ultra heavy valve cap on the 3rd valve, just to give a little weight to my sound, and better control. Thats your choice, though.

Hope you find a horn that fits your needs, Bear. Keep us posted!

Van

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    lol, I've tried many horns and I have found the one that I enjoy and currently play on. I was just lookin' for others and tryin' to see what they look for. Thanks all the replies folxs.

Tim

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    There will be oodles of other makes meeting your requirements including Lawler, Callichio, Yamaha Z, maybe one of the Conn V1.........

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Bear, it's an intersting topic and I posted something along these very lines (based on the information from the same website) quite a while back on the Trumpet Herald. The thing that I noticed was that although there was no real trend among these guys, one thing that I did notice was the for the most part, with only a few exceptions, most DID NOT play on a Bach!

The more common horns on the list were Holton, Schilke, Conn and Benge. (not necessarily in that order.)