"Lead Horns"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Oct 7, 2004.

1. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    The best horn for lead... IMO is the Calicchio. The 1sZ/3rL or the 1s/2 or 1s/7.
    Calicchio has about 5 or more different models that are considered to be GREAT lead horns.
    Of course this is just my opinion but I think these horns will get the job done over all others for strictly lead playing. Models like the 1s/2 are dream lead horns but are great for Jazz and Commercial playing as well. Ask Freddie Hubbard!! He plays on a Calicchio 3/9 Large Bore. Chuck Findley plays on a 1s/2 and Lee Thornburg of the Tonight Show Band plays on a 3/7. Claudio Roditi plays a 3/9 Ultra. (Heavy model)
    I play a Calicchio R32 and I do ALL of my work on it. Right now I cannot even think of playing any other horn so that is why I will put my vote in on Calicchio!

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I love the Scodwells. More expensive than a lot of other horns, but to me they combine the sound and core of a Bach with the zing of a Calicchio. Plus, they are assembled and tested by one of the best lead players around!

:-)

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I plan on burning cars this coming week to figure out where the hell my refund check is, so maybe I'll be able to start some serious shopping soon...

Van "I love the smell of kerosene" Bryant, II :twisted:

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The best lead horn is the horn your favorite lead player is playing :lol:
    I can't sound like Faddis when I play his horn. I can't sound like Lew Soloff when I play his horn. Earl Gardner and I play similar equipment............when we switch horns we still sound like ourselves.
    The magic is in the players, not the horns.
    Wilmer

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Wilmer, I totally agree with you.

However, I like playing a horn that allows me to sound like "me" with the least amount of "adjusting" as possible.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    You play horns that don't take"acclamation time" :wink:
    I feel the same way!
    Love at first sight :lol: Of course, that's after an intense trial.
    Wilmer

7. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Ehh, stinks when you have to make a big response, but not enough time. I'll start here.

I would really like to try a Schilke, but I don't know anyone really close to me who has ever really heard of trumpet makers other than Bach and Holton..... Lawlers are also difficult to find and play on, and I don't think I ever want to play on another V1 (Although the sterling silver bell sounds interesting!). Yeah, I sure wouldn't mind testing out some Eclipses!

To tell you the truth, I am beggining to re-evalute my opinion of heavy = good, as well as bright sound = bad. Theres so much I want to try!

Get to the other response later. Stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel....

Van

8. wavestar

wavestar New Friend

Oct 13, 2004
    florida
    maynard's current horn

Has anyone seen Maynard live this month.... he is apparently carrying a new MPrana prototype and a Flip Oakes WT... if you've seen him what's he playing :?:

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    He has a new Monette Prana XLT

10. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Wilmer, I definitely agree with that. Your sound will be perceived as the same no matter what horn you play on. However, I believe that there are horns that certain players are better suited for. Some people swear by the Bach Strad, while some swear at them! Every time I play my ambassador at band practice, some people ask why I would even consider using it over my two "big money" horns. My instructor, and the best high school trumpeter I've EVER heard plays on a Xeno, and I have yet to even like one! Though I haven't yet found a horn that suits me better than my Kanstul, I still wonder if there's some horn out in the woodworks that would knock my socks off!

I need to go on a big playtesting roadtrip. I need to start mapping out locations to go to..

Van