Lead mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzmetalrocknroll, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jazzmetalrocknroll

jazzmetalrocknroll Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2012
    Rhode Island
    This year in marching band, were playing a Motown era show. One of the numbers is "Lets Groove" by Earth Wind and Fire. Its great, but as a sophomore in high school playing 1st trumpet, it kinda hard to play over the staff the entire show. My range is basically up to the high C.:shhh: Now, I've been playing this on my bach 3c (I also have a laskey 60mc that came with the trumpet I have now), and I'm wondering if a smaller lead style mouthpiece would help, or what would help me with endurance in the upper register.:dontknow: Again, this show is basically a lead piece, including a gliss from middle D to D above high C. And because its marching band, the show dictates forte basically the whole time. Any Ideas would be awesome.

EDIT: I can hit the high D, but I dont really own anything above high C... I've been able to play the solo, but not really during the show. Before band camp I pretty much owned it, and could also play the E, but my endurance still sucked.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Practicing in the upper register will help your endurance up there. Mpc change is trickier since you're already in season. I find a flatter, smaller, shallower mpc helps me but it's not a cure all. Practice helps towards a cure all!

D.C. Al fine likes this.
  3. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    High D is just really in normal playing range. I will usually suggest a Lead Mouthpiece, but this time I'm going to be the first to say stick with your 3C, and practice, practice, practice.

D.C. Al fine likes this.
  4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Lead is poisonous to humans, I wouldn't recommend it for a mouthpiece.

Practice is usually the answer, but I doubt that is going to be the solution you choose. I'll beat D.C. to it and say the Bach 3D (And Al, that did burn a little to say that.)

5. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    NOOOOOOO! Well that did earn you a rep point there buddy. The 3D will just help brighten your tone a bit, not help you get the D. Just as Toby said, practice. Then when you are done with that, go practice some more.

Best of luck!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For me, it's the 1970's vintage Jettone Studio B ANY DAY. It's made of pixie dust... the opposite spectrum from lead.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And you don't want to practice on a mercury mouthpieces also... Oh sure, it will give you a liquid tone, but will make you go MAD... NOT angry... MAD.

8. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    It's sad but true that there has never been a mouthpiece made that will play high notes for you, and there never will be.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, I have a Martin Committee (or two) sprinkled with Feery dust (verifiable by the rare serial numbers),AND a pixie dust laden JET-TONE!!

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Arturo S. played on a 3C and I hear he has a pretty good upper register.