Lead mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzmetalrocknroll, Sep 11, 2012.

1. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I fully concur with all advice about practice (smart practice) being the most helpful.

I will add that I grew to like the "W" Bach rims when I was in marching band and drum corps. I still use an 11EW for lead work, mostly out of the familiarity of the feel of that fat rim. The cup has nearly an identical profile to my Schilke 12B4, but I find it vastly more comfortable for extended high register work. There is a 3CW, I have no experience with it and can offer no advice as to whether it might be of help.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    roflroflroflrofl

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Everyone's heard the demonstrations of great players popping out double C's with 1C toilet bowls. It's a great way to kill yourself. Just yesterday, a great pro illuminated his need for going from large to small and back again. He's, at heart, a classical player but makes his $ as an astounding lead man, and he never plays a mouthpiece that will give him the wrong sound for the gig. I'd say match the mpc with the sound you're going after. I had two mpcs in high school, one for concert and orchestra, one for jazz band. I believe that practicing on both really helped my development back then. What happened now is a different story. :-00

4. trumpetplayer231

trumpetplayer231 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    I would just suggest staying with a 3C. I am a Jr and also playing lead trumpet this year in marching band. And i will admit i have some parts where i may have to hit a high D. So i would suggest that you do BUILD UP ENDURANCE in the above staff areas when practicing. This will help greatly get accustomed to your show better. But don't be playing B's or higher above the staff the day of a show or competition. Keep it low key at that point. But in your off days like for evening rehersal and etc.... just practice that upper register and i promise it will get easier soon. This is coming from a guy who loves screaming high notes. ;) GOOD LUCK AS 1st TRUMPET AND CONGRATS! :D

BTW, i am using a Blessing 3C For all my playing and range.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I just don't worry about which mouthpiece I use and "make do" as well as I can with whatever is available, be it for trumpet, cornet and my piccolo trumpet, a mellophone in F, a euphonium or trombone, or a tuba and Sousaphone and I have and play some that not many trumpeters on TM ever mention, inclusive but not limited to the Assymmetic and Parduba. To me its mostly a matter of comfort and lately has been between a Bach 6 and Blessing 5C. When I want notes above a C3, I find it so much easier and more comfortable to play them on a piccolo trumpet. I do prefer a medium wide and rounded rim. For cornet and picc, I do like my Benge 7C.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  6. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY

How dare you call yourself a trumpeter!!!:D:D:lol:ROFL

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I merge my Jettone to my Martin Committee when I am in my Big Band but go to the Olds 3 for most of my work in the quintet. Darker sound with the Olds 3. The Jettone doesn't give me a higher range, just allows me to play longer with less fatigue.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Where did you hear this? I've never seen any where, or heard, that Maynard played a #15-16 throat on his trumpets. I am sure there are guys who try this but I've never met a pro that plays a throat this big on a trumpet. Cornet or flugel, sure, but not a trumpet (unless it's a ***e**e). Most reliable info put Maynard around a #22-24. I know some Maynard geeks that have a lot of the stuff he used. Never saw a #15-16 throat on any of the mpc's. Op should practice in the highest part of his register and experiment after the season so a sensible choice can be made.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    http://i.qkme.me/3q5wk7.jpgROFLROFLROFL

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    At approximately 2:10 here: Maynard Ferguson on Equipment - YouTube

Set your clock to Local's posts. I will not post something if it can't be backed up with facts. If something is just my opinion? Will state this too.

Local is our man on the job.

tobylou8 likes this.