Lead mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzmetalrocknroll, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Not in small clubs. Plus even if we are amped its a toss up as to whether the monitors will be audible.

Even the best horn bands ie Chicago, TOP have sucky sound production thru the P/A. Go there and listen for yourself. Very disappointing.

Maynard's band was the only one I ever heard that consistently got it right.

The only way I've ever found to make it work so I can always hear myself at least passably is to blow like hell all night. Isn't fun but is my only guarantee I will be heard. In the small clubs this sometimes means that the second player & I actually play louder than the amplified musicians.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    NOTHING wrong with that! :D
    I guess I'm spoiled then. I have a monitor and can mix my volume with whatever I want the sound man to "put in my head". Only current issue is that my Sennhieser MX 500 ear buds crapped out on me and I have been unable to find a suitable replacement that can handle the highs without breaking apart.

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Local, I totally agree with what your saying here, as I’m in the same game as you. First I want to tell you that I am going to show this post to a good friend of mine. His name is Mike F., Mike was Maynard’s personal soundman right up until he passed away. Your comment about Maynard’s band was the only one to get it right, well, with Mike at the board, it will be right. Maynard chose him for a reason. He is an amazing soundman, musician, singer and all around great person. I’ve been under Mike’s hands on the board in some huge playing environments and there’s nothing like it, he is the best in the industry when it comes to mixing horns with electronics. Thank you for your comments, I will definitely show them to Mike ! Now, what I really came on here to say is that my philosophy towards being heard on stage has changed over the years. I used to play my brains out just to hear myself over the electronics on stage, and you know what I mean : ). Do that for 4 hours and yep your done for a few days. I now use in-ears for all shows, now I never have trouble hearing myself over the stage volume and electronics. So I now never “overplay” to hear myself, as I used to. If you can’t hear me out front, that’s not my problem, get a sound guy that can do his job. I still get the same pay…. Now staying fresh through the 4 hour shows is easy. I also am lucky that our current sound guy is professionally trained and also knows what he is doing. But that’s rarely the case when you sub in other bands. In-ears, a musicians best friend, sometimes his only friend !!

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Tobylou : )

Elite Series ES5

OR

Shure Americas | Microphones, Wireless Systems, Headphones, Earphones

The Shures are about half the cost of the westones but both are exceptional ear buds.......

tobylou8 likes this.
  5. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Thank you for your nice words JNINWI. I knew there had to be a reason for Maynard's superior sound mix back in the day. I'd love to know that my words were told to Mike. He deserves a ton of credit. Always had Maynard's mix perfect. A genius.

My resorting to "loud as hell so I can at least hear myself" certainly is a limited method and not always fun. Despite being a physical challenge that may help build chops. In the small clubs with us blasting louder than the P/A and even lead guitar it makes the trumpet tone shrill.

So far I haven't heard anything recorded (from the small clubs) except several I phone recordings. Because if we had a real amplification system w/recording equipment in the room for the trumpets it would have been too loud.

And I REALLY didn't like what I heard from the I Phone recordings. Every mild tuning mistake was accentuated. Stuff I know I nailed seemed amateurish. The whole atmosphere was maddening if ya ask me. Drive a poor fella crazy.

And most of the time the audience doesn't give a hoot. The reason I tend to encourage extremely loud playing: 80% of an audience is tone deaf. Loud playing gets them up and dancing or clapping. We're not playing for people like ourselves. They're clueless. So I'm left with guesswork.

I guess I'm playing better than the amateur recordings I hear.

I guess that in the bigger clubs and outdoor arenas the P/A mix from the trumpets is OK.

I guess I'm playing well enough in tune.

I guess that what clams I play aren't that noticeable.

I guess that the lack of reverb on the trumpets due to them being merely acoustically produced volume doesn't sound so weird as when compared to the electronically amplified music which is (but probably not. It does sound weird)

The day may come when I just won't be able to blow like hell all night. I'm just 2 & 1/2 years away from 60. What then?

What is it? Like I said it's MADDENING!!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  6. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Not in the small clubs. And even in the large rooms and arenas you never really know what's going out to the audience.

Gotta remember I'm "old school". Back in my youth that's just what we did: Blew like hell all nite. Often not knowing if we were flat or sharp.

Like the aging plumber I know who explained that back in his journeyman days a lone plumber on the job was required to carry a cast iron tub up several flights of stairs BY HIMSELF (there's a trick to this, you tie a rope around your shoulders and PULL/slide the nuisance up the carpeted steps)

DUES! So OK its a macho thang too but its what I do because we've always done it. Show must go on. Also there's a "sound" to loud playing you can't get with amplification.

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I know exactly what your saying. I'm old school also (57 here). And it's a pretty cool sound when you get the entire big band getting that "Loud Sound" going at the same time !! I did the same thing for years when I was on the road. Theres nothing like it : ) It's putting "Sizzle" to the max and the crowd digs it !! Show that to a young musician and they go "WHAT, how did you do that ? "

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And isn't that what it's all about? My answer is the obvious... yes it is.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Even playing with all the high tech gear I use it's still hard to not want to play like that. I can't help putting the gas peddle to the floor a few times a night .....:D. Ohhh yeah !!!!
    Now that ya got me thinking about it, I'm pumped for the show tonight !!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm pumped thinking about it and I'm not even there!! :D