Lead Pipe Change out for 1948-50 Olds Ambassador Trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by study888, Oct 3, 2005.

1. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello Everyone. I won the bid on a 1948-50 L.A. Olds Ambassador trumpet Ser#27668 at a auction for$20.00 :D The lead pipe reciever is damaged. But can be fixed by my local music tech. I thought about doing a mod. change out on this lead pipe. I have considered a Pilczuk lead pipe. They come in brass, rose brass, and Silver. What would be the best choice. And would the horns intonation and playing be that greatly improved? It has low set valve stems and buttons. It has two star guides on each valve guide instead of one on the fullerton models.It feels much lighter and better balanced than the fullerton models. Would you believe all the slides pulled with no probs. Compression still good and valves shiny. The yellow brass seems to have a well tempered look and feel to it.I know it is no Recording. But I like all the Olds trumpets and cornets. Especially the L.A. models. :-)

2. topo3man

topo3man Pianissimo User

Jun 24, 2005
    Wilmington, DE
    It really depends on what you want to do with the trumpet. You can change out the leadpipe and improve response. You can also change out the brackets and improve response as well. But if it were me, I would just have the leadpipe fixed. Olds introduced the Ambassador model right around s/n 27,000 so you have one of the first Olds Ambassadors ever made. I have a low 29,XXX Ambassador and have kept it as a collectors item. If it were me, I would get another Ambassador on the cheap (they are always available on e bay) and use that horn as my "experimental" project.

3. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    I would agree with topo3man. If the leadpipe is repairable then save it so that the horn is all original. Buy one from the late '50s (cool little 3rd slide stop) or '60s and change the pipe on that. There are plenty of these around so you are not altering a rarity.

Some folks use the Bach 43 pipe and have good results, so that may be another option.

Good luck with the project!

Bill