Lead Pipe Hole Repair?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by andy-rockstar, Nov 29, 2010.

1. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    I have an old beater Cousenon tuba with a small hole in the lead pipe. It plays well enough, but the sound and water leaking from the hole are getting annoying.

I understand that having a professional repair the lead pipe is the best solution here. But are there any cheaper repair alternatives? Some sort of epoxy, or solder to patch the hole? I'm not concerned with asthetics, as this horn doesn't get any use outside of Tubachristmas and the occasional noodling around.

Thanks in advance.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Get a repair tech to solder a patch on. It is relatively quick to do, and much more cost effective than filling it with silver solder, or replacing the whole thing.

Of course if you are really cheap just put tape over it....

3. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I've used JB Weld.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    solder a patch.

Instrument repair techniques always favor "undoable" methods. Glues simply make a mess and are a pain to clean up if a "real" repair ever should be done.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Duct tape! Nowadays you can probably get it to match your finish whatever color it is. :lol:

6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    My son works on a nuclear submarine, and they have massive rolls of duct tape for every occasion. If it's good enough for the Navy, it's good enough for a tuba.
    Or gaffer's tape- the glue isn't as messy as duct tape. An auto parts store would also have muffler repair tape, but it would only work on a straight section, not curved.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If you have it fixed properly with a patch, it will play better, you will want to play it more and you will get more enjoyment from it.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

When I worked for an airline, I saw a mechanic pull out a roll of "tape" and apply it to the outside of the aircraft. Asked what it was, he said airplane skin tape. I stupidly asked, "Won't it come off" ? He laughed and said if I got it on my hand, it would have to be surgically removed for my skin to be intact. I took his word for it.

9. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    C'mon....we're talking about a tuba here! :evil:

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The hard core fact is that trumpeters would not sell their music without the accompaniment of other instruments ... inclusive of a tuba, therefore I suggest we not diss those that play other instruments. Aside, I have the ability, but not present capability, to play ALL the bass brass horns inclusive of tuba and Sousaphone.