lead pipe keeps slipping...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by j4k8, Dec 11, 2007.

1. j4k8

j4k8 New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    the band stand
    uh yeah i used valve oil on it one time because it said you could use it on slides and now it keeps slipping while Im playing, and i keep going way flat... any advice?

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Do you mean the tuning slide is slipping? I had a horn that was like that...a good repair tech can slightly expand the inner tubes and it'll stay in. Some people will say to bend the slide out of allignment, but there's no reason to do that. Just have the tubes expanded.

Jason.

3. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Yeah... That would be a secondary option. My First is this. Try using a nice thick Slide cream. Valve oil has a very high viscosity, and will cause things to slide very easily (Valves for instance) Where slide cream Has a very low viscosity and will resist air pressure a bit more.

If thats still not good, you could try bending it a little out of place, but not much at all. THIS IS A LAST RESORT.

If you've got the probably 20-30 bucks that I think it would cost, jsut take it in and have them expand the slide.

4. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Try some thicker lube before you go pay a repair man. oil is not the right stuff for your tuning slide.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Valve oil has a very high viscosity, and will cause things to slide very easily (Valves for instance) Where slide cream Has a very low viscosity and will resist air pressure a bit more.

You have it bassackward. Low viscosity means a thin liquid. High viscosity means a thick liquid.

OLDLOU>>

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Expanding the tubes increases the inner diameter, so bending the tube would be (barely) the wiser solution. Better yet is a thick slide grease--Selmer made (still makes?) some nasty red stuff that is real sticky, or anhydrous lanolin (from your pharmacy) works real well.

7. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

oops lol... well hopefully he got my point :D

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The Selmer stuff is fantastic.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Slide grease for slides is not just to keep them in place, It is also there to make them air (and water) tight. When you use thin oil you may notice water drops on the tuning slide. The mouthpiece/leadpipe it the highest pressure part of the horn and the sealing properties of a good grease is important.
    Anhydrous lanolin is very good, non-toxic and cheap.

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I use lanolin. But a guy I know who's done it all swears by:

[​IMG]