Lead Pipe repair for King Silver Flair Bb Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by FergusonFan, May 22, 2010.

1. FergusonFan

FergusonFan New Friend

May 22, 2010
    The lead pipe on my Silver Flair has been twisted to the point of splitting in half. My son was playing with it and attempted to remove the mouthpiece he got stuck in it. I am trying to find a replacement lead pipe but have had zero luck. Anyone know where I might purchase one?

I repired instruments for almost 10 years in the 80's / 90's and replaced many a lead pipe. Hate patching them, especially when they are split this badly. but I just can't seem to find a place to purchasae a new pipe.

Any help would be appriciated.

Eric

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Eric,
    I am not aware of any supply of originals. There are some fine 3rd party lead pipes out there like from Najoom ( Leadpipes), Blackburn ( Blackburn Trumpets Home ), Larson ( Leadpipes ), Melk ( Charlie's Brass Works - Specializing in Professional Brass Instrument Customization, Repair and Refinishing ) and Pilczuk (Pilczuk Pipes ).

There may be some more, but these guys have universal acceptance. The leadpipe is the soul of the instrument. I would not trust just anybody. Call and get some consultation before making a move. You may end up with an even better instrument!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I second Charlie Melk, his lead pipe turned a good horn into a great horn for me.

4. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    I third Melk Leadpipes. Another option is M/K Drawing and Bending in Elkhart, WI.

I recommend looking at companies that will work with you on playing before purchasing.

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    If you want original, Allied Supply may have them in stock. You'll have to go through an Allied dealer, they won't sell to civilians.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Conn Selmer list the Silver Flair lead pipe assembly as being an available part. The part number is TR16050ASP

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I'm sure you're aware that starting in the 1980s King changed the Silver Flair. It went from a large bore prohorn to a ML intermidiate horn. Completely different. The current lead pipe from the factory will not work with an original Flair.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Did you beat the boy about the head energetically? You should at least have restricted his access to your horn and found a way to make him aware of your displeasure and financial loss. Is he old enough to help pay for the repairs? If he were my son he would ALWAYS remember not to do such a thing ever again. I hope that your King is not your sole source of income.

OLDLOU>>