Lead Pipe Repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ozboy, Dec 6, 2009.

1. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Doing a gig this afternoon. In one of the breaks, a guy let his son run all over the stage and he knocked my Schilke off its stand You can imagine how happy I was.It seems to have knocked the mouthpiece receiver off centre. My question is: How do they attach a mouthpiece receiver to a lead pipe? How much of a drama is it to straighten it.? I have never given this much thought.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Bad luck, the receiver is usually soft soldered to the leadpipe, the joint may be sprung or the leadpipe may be bent at the receiver, also the brace between the receiver and bell tube bent. this will not be a major repair for a competent tech.

Regards, Stuart.

3. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Thanks Stumac. Hoped yu'd chime in. The leadpipe looks intact. Tine is a factor. It feels like trying to drive a car from the passenger seat. I have a heap of work on so time is areal factor.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hey Ozboy - in my stating the bleeding obvious isn't for your benefit (and I apologise if it offends a bit) but kiddies, trumpets are in their cases or on your mouth - the great unwashed never understand a delicate piece of art, and even less so, their children.

5. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Ted I've been gigging for 27 years and never had a horn touched. It was a ten minute break. I don't know any jazz player who lugs all their gear back to the dressing room for a break. I'd get frequent flyer points from all the k's

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    unless the solder joint is broken (easy fix), the leadpipe is bent. You have a Schilke not a Bach, thousandths of an inch play a role in how the horn responds, a new leadpipe or at least the right mandrel could very well be required to get the horn perfect again. Schilke also has a different view on gap than many other manufacturers.

You may consider a two step repair: good enough for now, and if it still doesn't feel right, the rest later. I would soak that clowns father for the price of a new leadpipe + labor. Brats have no business on stage.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I understand Ozboy - just trying to use your experience for the benefit of others - I know it doesn't fix it for you but someone else (particularly those of us who play in the community and around kids as a matter of course) may be able to use the lesson.

I'm distraught for you and your horn but if I can remember to keep my trumpet safe in such situations then I for one have learnt something to my advantage, and I thank you.

8. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    A friend of mine had a leadpipe issue recently with his B6. He sent it back to Schilke and they did the work. He had the entire leadpipe replaced. They only charged for labor and shipping. Try contacting them.

9. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    It's a long way from where I live to the Schilke factory though it is a good thought. I sent my horn off to bettersounds australia. Morrie Zahner is a genius. He assures me that all will be well but he has yet to see the horn. Ran into the mother of an old student who said i could borrow her son's calicchio if I get stuck so all is A OK. Thanks for your input everyone. It is much appreciated.

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Sounds good Oz, I did not think fast enough, I should have offered my Selmer B700 I am not using at the moment.

Regards, Stuart.