Lead Pipe Repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ozboy, Dec 6, 2009.

1. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I pulled out the old ambassador cornet that I bought for my son to have a practice on tonight. It was a blast. I only have a Yamaha eqivalent of the 7c mouthpiece. I don't have a gig for a couple of days. I might take it along to the gig for a laugh. my sound quality was ordinary but I had some interesting chops. playing a cornet took me back a good 25 years. All being well I should have the Schilke back in a bit over a week. Nice thought Stu. Much appreciated.

2. NiharC

NiharC New Friend

Dec 29, 2009
    I am working on a project horn in which i will be replacing the section of the horn from the leadpipe to the pipe that attaches to the valve casing. I need some advice or pictures from somebody because I am not getting anywhere.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You are going to have to give a better description. Do you mean the knuckle? (the part that is brazed on to the valve casing and attaches to the lower outer main tuning slide?) or just the lower outer main tuning slide?

If it is the knuckle, I would patch it and forget about replacing it. Replacing knuckles is a tricky process that only skilled techs should attempt. (I don't even know the proper way to do it, although I have some ideas.)

Replacing the lower outer main tuning slide is a relatively simple process since you just unsolder the tube at the knuckle and the brace that probable sits between the LOMTS and the bottom 3rd valve slide tube and then you fit the new tube in its place.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It's comforting to read another tech who's willing to admit that they don't know the proper way to do such major alterations/repairs. I know I don't know how to do it, and I would never suggest anybody have it done to an Ambassador. Patching works just fine and in no way deteriorates the sound of the instrument. If I ever had a client in need of such a repair on an expensive instrument I would suggest they contact a trumpet maker and have it done by them.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009