Lead tramatoc experiences

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Feb 20, 2015.

1. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    I have the 1st trumpet part for jazz now it is so difficult finding partials. I have to hit E's outta nowhere meanwhile everything is fff. I mean you can't sneak in for nothing. Now I'm practicing hitting D's slurring down to A's while tongue stopping. Tongue stopping high notes is hard!!! The slightest movement sends you doing a lame crack!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I recently heard a board feed recording of a live performance of our band playing "New York, New York." To say that it wasn't a great rendition of that tune for me was an understatement - I was spattering stuff all over the place, and there just wasn't any way to hide or retract it once it was out there. It is what it is - just keep working it and you'll assimilate to the new style.

Did you mean to say tramatoc or did you mean "traumatic?"

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    T-Money, are you listening to the notes prior to your entrance? Hearing the note in our head before we play it is a huge factor in accuracy.

Try picking your e's out of thin air when practicing--you should see fairly quick, positive results.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  4. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014

Oops I wasn't paying attention ;) I can 't fix it.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lead players have special requirements. They are not something that we just "start doing". There is a building process.

Who told you to build high Es by hitting high Ds and slurring down to A with "tongue stopping"? Sound like an internet suggestion from someone who has never played lead........... Just stop doing that. All it will do is increase the tension in your face until no sound comes out.

The only suggestion that I have is to find a REAL lead player in your area and try and get at least a lesson or two. There is nothing that we can guesstimate without really seeing and hearing you play.

The standard way to build range is to get body and breathing use together, then to get a decent daily routine with lots of long tones and lipslurs. Try and reduce tension and try to let the horn do as much work as possible.

If a FFF E is a high and hard note for you, you shouldn't be playing lead, or the band should have different repertory. Forcing the issue just makes learning to do it right harder.

6. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014

I have 1 wriiten on my part not 2 and not 3 for a reason. I can play all of those notes. I'm talking about accuracy and you are on some next level stuff. I was finding the partials in context with the music. Every time I say something on this forum YOU put me down. Everyone has a starting point. I honestly don't need to build my range I need to work on the range I got. You really need to read that post over again you did not read it right.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    ---

Hi T-M
    Good hard practice done on a regular basis is a tonic for many trumpet ills. It shouldn't be a problem finding the notes (partials) you described and if so, you might be blowing too hard (forcing the air), using excessive mouthpiece pressure, or uncontrolled excessive tension in a host of areas or all of the above. There are many "sticky" posts that can direct you if you find that you are having a problem with finding the notes and tongue stops. Hope this helps.
    Dr.Mark

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    You would be wise to learn to accept constructive criticism without feeling criticized. I am always amazed when guys come here looking for advice, then when they receive it an argument breaks out!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You said that you were having a hard time and were tongue stopping. There was no other content in your post. The problems that you mention are very common for those without structured development. I don't know why you think that banging out a high D or using tongue stopping are constructive ways to build range.

I gave you the roadmap to get better. Find someone seriously doing it, and get a decent routine together. Owning high notes and accuracy are built on a solid foundation. I think if we go back to your previous posting and my comments, you are still having trouble slowing down and fixing the basics.

Accuracy is a function of the chops, ears. brains and body working in harmony. A lead player has to "hear" the notes before they try to play them, have superior breathing and body use in place to be prepared to play the note when the "timing" calls for it. The lead player has to have an extreme amount of control otherwise they waste their face too early in the gig.

Again you make a serious error: I am not on next level stuff, I am on previous level stuff. If you don't have it down, it is a crap shoot.

If you consider this a personal put down, maybe you need to reconsider YOUR position (your person is not an issue here or anywhere else, your trumpet playing capabilities are). If you are serious about trumpet and lead, then get those basics together and you won't have issues with accuracy and won't need a tongue stop except when posting on line about things that don't matter. We are what we repeatedly do. Look in the mirror and you will have your answers.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    ---
    Hi T-M
    Whew, A hand was given in hopes that it might help with your struggles and you scoldingly smack it away?
    This much I do know: Not all advice is pleasant but that doesn't make it incorrect. In fact the advice that upsets me most is knowledge that I should have known but didn't because of faulty teaching or me simply not paying attention when it was offered.
    Good Luck
    Dr.Mark