Lead tramatoc experiences

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Feb 20, 2015.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Something to note here - and this is just an observation - but there is a faction here on the board who approach young aspiring players with the attitude that the only way they can ever "succeed" as a player is to get a teacher and take the act of learning the trumpet and all that goes with it - breathing, technique, technical studies, etc, etc ad nauseum - VERY seriously. In fact, they'd better get on the ball OR ELSE! Or at least that's the way it seems sometimes.

Have we forgotten why we do this? I realize that the ultimate goal is to gain a level of proficiency so that making music is easier and the trumpet becomes an extension of that expression, but I believe that there are many roads to the same destination. Some twist and wind around a bit, and some people wind up having to dig out of bad habits here and there, but at the end of the day, shouldn't playing trumpet and making music be something we do for fun or some other kind of fulfillment or enjoyment?

That has always been the driving force behind why I play. It has NEVER been about mastering technical proficiency. For me, that has always been a means to an end. I do it because I enjoy the experience of making music with other musicians and sharing that music with an audience. Granted, I'm not the chopsiest player on the board, I don't have the best range, I'm not the most accurate, and my resume certainly isn't the most prolific or prestigious. But does it have to be? There are many destinations that are perfectly ok for players of all ages and abilities.

Color me crazy, but from where I sit, T-Money wasn't looking for advice or for someone to offer him a solution to help him fix his current dilemma. My take was that he was simply chatting - one player to several other fellow players. Anyone who has gigged much at all can relate to what he's going through - sometimes it's just a bad night behind the horn (what I posted about) and I'd venture to guess that anyone who has played much at all has had them, no matter who you are. I once witnessed Maynard on a night where he had an awful night behind the horn - it just wasn't good at all, so if it could happen to Maynard....

Hows about we cut the kid a little slack?

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    This your post. You want suggestions on how to clean up your accuracy. Here's a riff on a process for playing in the upper register from a great teacher, Vincent Cichowitz. The purpose is to take away as many stress factors as possible fro the process and then build from there.

- play "air trumpet". Look at your music and, away from the horn, just tongue it lightly, blowing air out like you'd do it if you were playing. This takes away the stress (which might be one source of your problems) away from the instrument, itself.

- finger the passages, while blowing and tonguing the music.

- play and practice the music until you can play it properly, one octave down
    - - here, you've got the opportunity to put the phrasing, dynamics, fingering etc. down without the stress of playing it in the upper octave.

- once you can do that, add the upper octave.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Patrick,
    this is of course a very valid observation. I will maintain however, when looking at what we do, and even when chatting about doing something better, that there is a process. The process is not random. In the case of this member, I do have most of the previous posts in my memory and will maintain that his "approach", "problem" and "solution" has not changed from those very first posts. I really do read the posts carefully and try to get to the root evil instead of posting a bandaid that essentially inhibits moving forward. Many times I don't forget the member and offer consistent advice with previous posts.

Here at TrumpetMaster I see a couple of different types of question askers: Those that want to be spoon fed (no problem) and those that want inspiration - to figure out themselves where they are going (also no problem). Those two types each have a division: those willing to listen (good), and those only on broadcast (bad). With this total of 4 types, there are individual methods of presenting information. We simply save time when the unserious get in a huff. It may not be pretty, but all of the advice in the world only applies when SERIOUSLY tried. In the case of this thread, we are talking about specialty playing - LEAD playing. This requires a bit more seriousness than "standard" playing in a wind band.

As far as cutting slack, yes, perhaps a trumpet forum should not be a top qualified free master class with every post. To be honest however, if TrumpetMaster ever became a simple chat box, there would be no reason for anyone qualified to be here. I don't really go to music fairs anymore because of the pubertarian squealing. Even in the private lessons that I give, there is a social aspect. I do use those opportunities however to highlight the necessity of fun in what we do and how process enables and preserves fun.

So maybe, just maybe the thread owner should simply give us some slack?

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Good point Rowuk, that's fair. My only comment to that is that it's a bit easier for the older and more experienced to have a bit more patience with the younger players who post. I don't know about the rest of us old phardts on here, but I remember what I was like when I was that. At that point, we don't even know what we don't know, and even presented with good information, I was likely to ignore it or even argue if the presentation wasn't to my liking. I had to learn almost everything the hard way - in many cases, through my own trial and error, and by first doing things incorrectly.

Let's hope our young OP is reading all of this with an open mind, and will take some of the advice, solicited or not, to heart. Ultimately those who enjoy any measure of success in their playing endeavors get there through some careful time spent to hone and refine basics skills, even if some people come by those basic skills fairly naturally.