Lead Trumpet Jazz

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LSN1052, Dec 3, 2009.

1. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    I am a junior in high school and play lead in our jazz band. Im basically in way over my head. But thats what makes it fun :thumbsup:

Recently my director has thrown out the idea of me shaking a couple of notes in some of the music. However i cannot shake, especially after school when we practice and im dead.

Ive heard people do that on recordings, and seen and heard pros do it in person.

I have been told that it is a lip slur more or less, but i think that is impossible on a high F or A. But on a mid-range not like a 2nd line G ive had it work if i literally shake my trumpet, like i combonation of major vibrato and [gently and controlled] the only word for it is cramming the trumpet into my face and out again. That sounds horrible but its the only way to describe.

I can talk to my teacher, but since this sight has millions of awesome pros i thoughtd id see what the world thinks about shaking.

How do YOU shake. How can I shake. Am i no where close to the right answer.

2. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    I shake by doing a very fast lip trill. I suspect most people here do the same. How I learned was to play the starting note then slur up to the next partial and back down slowly. Do this over and over and gradually build speed. It wont happen overnight, stick with it and you'll get it. I dont like the idea of physically moving the horn to shake. I've known a few players that do it this way but it seems to me that it would do more harm than good to your chops.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Try This,
    Take a note and try to bend it up. You'll notice that you go up to the next partial.
    When you shake, try to bend the note up without going in to the next partial and then use your hand to make the note go up to the partial and back down.

4. Shmone

Shmone New Friend

Dec 3, 2009
    Israel
    I just shake the trumpet like you described, worked good so far :)

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Practice this with all 3 valves pushed down. Then you can shake much lower notes until you get the "feel" for it. Once you have it down with 123, use 1+3, 2+3, 1+2, 1, 2 and finally open.

6. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Practice what :dontknow:. Just start on low F# with 123? :-? Shake the lower notes? Im lost.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    with all valves depressed, you can shake a 4th space E (E/F#). To do the same thing open, it would be a Bb/C above the staff. A whole tone shake "sounds" generally decent.

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Like Schwab said learn both ways , the old Basie band used the fast hand shake like in the video , Maynard made the slow wide lip slur popular , so the style of music your playing should determine which one you should use. The best way to learn these is by experimentation and practice.

9. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Yo Schwab, you made my day with that clip. BTW Whenever I have doubts about phrasing and interperation I think WWSD. (What would Snooky do?)

LSN1052: Arbans pp 42-45 say taaeeaaeeaaeeaaeeaaeaaee.......

10. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Snooky came from that Armstrong, Eldridge school of melody and style, and SWING. Man.