Lead Trumpet Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Tang705, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Tang705

Tang705 New Friend

Jun 22, 2008
    Hi

I've been playing on a bach 3C for a while and like it but it's not bright enough for lead and im looking for a lead mouthpiece. Any suggestions? Preferably with a same rim and inner diameter

2. Puukka

Puukka Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Krems an der Donau
    Hmm, Arturo Sandoval thinks differently.;o)

Player/horn combinations

The 3C is a relatively shallow piece, compared to a 1 1/2C, 5C or 7C, which are deeper.
    When I played the 3C I couldnĀ“t with the Bach 3D, because it offered less control.
    Even this might be something for you.
    Take a look at the comparator:
    Kanstul Mouthpiece Comparator
    Herbert

3. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    If you can find one, Bach does make a 3F.
    As for Mr. Sandoval, Schilke (and perhaps others) made him a setup with the same rim and different cup depths. I got to play on it once, but the shallower cup didn't help me much. I am definitely not the measure of a lead player, though.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Bach makes a 3D, 3E and 3F. Chances are the rims will feel similar, but not necessarily identical, to yours. Other companies like Curry make mpcs simialar (size wise) to Bach...thier website probably has a comparision chart.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you can`t find a 3D, E ,or F, Bach Try a 14a4a Schilke its a popular size piece and should be easy to find.

6. trumPF

trumPF New Friend

Aug 14, 2007
    Miami, FL
    For a 3c player, I've found the following are good lead mouthpieces:

Giardinelli 7s (current edition)

Marcinkiewitz, Jeff Tyzik model (in the ballpark of a 3c size rim diameter)

For some, the Marcinkiewtiz Chuck Findley model (wide rim, shallow cup combination)

Others like the Reeves 42s.

Those are close to 3c size rims, and lots of folks do advocate keeping similar rim sizes. However, I also know a lot of highly successful professional players who do use much smaller rims for lead work, while doing the rest of their playing and the majority of their practice/maintenance on the bigger piece. So there's two different schools of thought there. For me, I've found the shape is more important than the size. Good luck!

7. DCB

DCB Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2004
    N. Florida
  8. TrumpEd

TrumpEd Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2008
    Texas
    Good advice. The Schilke 14A4a seems to be the first step most trumpet players need to take when the oft-times lifelong search for a lead mouthpiece begins!:play:

9. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I love the specs hub on the mouthpiece express website - it lets you compare mouthpieces of different brands and sizes very easily. Bob Reeves mouthpiece advisor is also very good - even better, if you call them, they will do a free mouthpiece consult with you over the phone. These guys really know their business, too - great people to deal with!
    Mouthpiece Express : Brass & Woodwind Mouthpieces

Bob Reeves Brass Mouthpieces - Maker of fine trumpet mouthpieces, flugel, piccolo trumpet and cornet mouthpieces for over 40 years.

10. Tang705

Tang705 New Friend

Jun 22, 2008
    I'm no sandoval, but i understand it is possible lol.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008