Lead Trumpet Player's Practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe N., May 3, 2007.

1. rickperon

rickperon New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    If you can, collect lead parts and have your own little book. Maybe once or twice a week play a set of tunes and include the rest. This will give you a better idea of how you might hold up endurence wise, will also teach you about pacing as well. Another thing you could do is to memorize some good lead licks/phrases and just play them once in a while, helps the chops to stay set in those registers. Like it was mentioned before, doing routines specifically for building range & endurence are good, but you really have to do it. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I know I practice differently than I play. So this approach to lead playing just seems to be practical to me. IMHO
    Rick

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is all great advice.
    Do not forget: what works to keep a pro up and running will not necessarily be a recipe for someone that plays/practices a lot less. Once you have your high chops, it is not as hard to get them back/keep them up as learning to play there for the first time!
    The key for learning to play high (regardless if you are playing lead or the Brandenburg concerto) for the FIRST TIME is getting your breath support together, keeping the mouthpiece pressure on the upper lip minimized and VERY TIGHT CORNERS. The single biggest inhibitor to the top octave is excessive pressure (which inhibits proper embouchure development)!!!!!
    Veldkamp has all of the exercises on his website that you need to get started! A good teacher can speed thing up too.......................
    Without seeing what you do right and wrong, it is hard to give you something more individual.

3. FrankGreene

FrankGreene New Friend

May 20, 2007
    NYC
    I have written a book called 'Brass Concepts' that I hope may help you. It is sold through www.GerryLopezMusic.com and I wrote it while playing lead on Maynard's band. It is designed exactly to help players through several types of playing problems in this area.

I hope it can help. -- Frank

4. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    When I was playing Lead Trumpet more frequently, the Jimmy Maxwell book was an indispensible resource. Well laid out and a very logical approach to the Art of Lead Playing. As stated earlier, it is not the ability to play high notes that distinguishes a great lead player BUT the ability to be consistent in your interpretation and hitting the notes cleanly that matters most. The other players in the section will exactly know how you will interpret the line and will follow suit immediately ( if they are listening of course ;-) ) Too many times when I was playing under a lead player that was inconsistent is when the Trumpet section got into "trouble". It should be 4=1! :cool:

5. Bob Odneal

Bob Odneal Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    I do a lot of ppp playing like I talk about in my CDHC method. I was going over some church service charts for the 4th of July celebration last night in my townhouse playing them at a ppp to p level. It really builds chops and you find muscles you didn't know you had. You play this way with very solid support. You also find a lot more places that you can practice without getting ranted at!

Good luck!

Bob

6. Bob Odneal

Bob Odneal Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Oh yeah, this teaches you how to conserve your air because you are playing with a very intense air stream and a less air the higher you go and this can produce a large sound if played through a focused aperture.