Lead Trumpet Sound

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by missednote, Sep 29, 2005.

1. missednote

missednote Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Naples, Italy
    I'm trying to decide what kind of sound I'm looking for in my lead playing. I've been listening to a lot of recordings of myself in rehearsals and a lot of professional recordings. I really like the sound I am getting on my Callet Jazz right now. A big fat 'wall of sound' type thing. But the more recordings I listen to it seems like most of the guys out there working right now have more of a focused 'compact' type sound. What are your opinions on this? Would you rather hear/have that big knock a wall down/part their hair sound? Or would you rather burn a hole in someones forehead? I've heard both done really well and enjoy both sounds. I think I prefer the knock the wall down type sound but is this practical anymore? I could be wrong but I seem to be hearing a lot of guys with the Z-horn type sound. Compact and zippy. What do you think? Is the trend more towards a tighter sound these days? Which type of player is more likely to get work? Thanks!
    -missednote

2. joey

joey Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2003
    Bloomington
    Sound

Although sound is a very personal thing, and often hard to describe in words, I'm going to go ahead and try.

As a lead player, the sound you should be striving for should be primarily full and clear. Although I've heard the 'burn a hole in someone's forehead' sound, I don't particularly care for it. I want a sound that both leads a band and blends with it. A sound that is one without the other is useless. If you're leading without blending, you're sticking out. If you're blending without leading, you're indiscernible.

Your sound as a lead player will dictate the sound of the band. Do you want a big full clear band sound, or the sound of you accompanied by a band?

Joey Tartell

3. missednote

missednote Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Naples, Italy
    Good point Joey. Of course in either situation you want to have a clear sound and also be able to lead the band with a pleasing tone. I guess that the difference I was speaking of was the difference between say a Bobby Shew type sound(crisp compact and zippy) vs. an early Maynard(huge roar) sound. Which sound is the market leaning towards right now?

4. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I prefer the Wall of Sound. I dislike really bright sounds with not much fundamental in the tone.

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Man, I say just play the sound that you want. There is more to being a lead player than the notes and sound. You gotta have style, time, reading chops, etc. A big phat sound will do just as fine as a sharp laser sound if you have the other things rollin'. Good luck. Be individualistic, have YOUR sound.

6. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    Lin Biviano...Jon Faddis....Bill Chase....etc., etc...need I say more!!!! :bleah:

Butch

7. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Miles Davis...enough said :D

8. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    Harry James! :cool:

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'd have to go with the Snooky Model for my own personal concept.

-T

10. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Snooky, Jonesy, Ernie and Bernie!
    Wilmer