Leadpipe cleaning - SUPER nasty in there - how do YOU clean it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Jan 23, 2013.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I started putting a few drops of valve oil down my leadpipe everytime I practice and have noticed quite a bit of improvement in my valves performance. I believe the vinegar solution soak is a great idea by the way.

2. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    This only works fine if not only the leadpipe, but also the tuning slide and the other tubings in front of and after the valves are superclean, otherwise you risk send small crud particles through the valves, which will not really enhance valve action.

But yes, once you have a clean horn what you say makes sense.

By the way, when cleaning an olds horn, I put some lemon juice into the water, this removes nasty gunk
    just as well as vinegar does.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Yep, if the leadpipe and tuning slide are dirty it runs it all into the valve block ...

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    ........Have any of you heard of a little thing called a trumpet snake? ...and a little dish soap? :huh::shock:

5. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    We surely have,
    and those elementary
    cleaning tools have already
    been mentioned in post #2 - 4 as well.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    ... and every so often you do have to replace your instrument snake. The bristles do wear!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This is no different than checking the oil and coolant in a vehicle and topping off the fluids. Clean horns play better which in turn means you sound better. If you sound better, you practice more because, HEY, I SOUND GOOD!!! I use a H&W padsaver and swab after every use. Speaking of gun cleaning apparatus, I used a rounded copper wire brush to clean a seriously dirty leadpipe one time and brought it back to "new".

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I just soak for a while in the garage sink... warm water and some simple green (or whatever soap I have handy). Then run a snake through it.
    Never had one where that didn't work.

9. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    I've pushed a wad of steel wool through a lead pipe to get off mineral deposits. Regular brush snaking and drying of the horn should cut down the crud build up. After playing, I always pull out all four slides and set them at a tilt for drainage and drying overnight.

10. whyit

whyit New Friend

Aug 12, 2012
    Corona CA
    I bought an Olds abassador that the guy said must have been in the case for 30 years... and the inside of the horn loooked like he told the truth. after freeing the slides i soaked it in soapy water with very little luck. I wound up using a .38 caliber cooper brush and gun solvent on the lead pipe. It has a hint of red rot, so I figured I couldn't hurt it. You guys might chastise me for the gun solvent, but hey it worked.