Leadpipe for Bach 229 (Opinions?)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by orchestra_trumpet_star, Dec 11, 2005.

1. orchestra_trumpet_star

orchestra_trumpet_star New Friend

Nov 3, 2005
    hey all,
    what is the best leapipe, in your opinion, for an orchestral 229 bach C trumpet in a laquer finish? It is a large bore horn that is what I would call a fairly bright horn. I currently have a 43 leapipe in it that someone else put into the horn that I feel is too tight and maybe little too bright. I have a naturally darker tone quality and I still want the horn to speak in orchestral settings as well as chamber and solo settings. What are your opinions (standards Bach, Malone, Najoom, Blackburn, etc (sorry if I am leaving some out))? Thanks for your replies!
    OTS
    PS Does anyone know what the leapipes are going to be in the new (Herseth) model bach C trumpets?

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    OTS,
    I have had very good experience with Blackburn leadpipes. I have one instrument that has one and I really like it. If you decide on a Blackburn, think about getting their tuning slide as well. I have a friend who has a Bach 229 with Blackburn leadipe and tuning slide and it plays great.
    -Jimi

PS If it helps, when I was looking for my first C trumpet, one of my teachers recmmended a 229/25A combination. Good luck with your search! Make sure to play as many different combinations as possible, and when you find a good combination, play as many different samples of that variation as possible.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    My setup is a 25H leadpipe with a Bach large bore Bb tuning slide. The tuning slide is cut down, it on the long side.
    That's it :cool:
    Wilmer

4. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I hated the 25h. So I put a Blackburn 19-350 on it and i love it!

I tried two different 19 pipes, and a 20 pipe. I also got the tuning slide. Well worth the $.

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    229 Bell - Leadpipe?

I used the 25H for many years with the 229 bell. Worked fine but I wanted a slightly more open blow. Tried several and ended up with the 7R (tuning slide as well obviously) and this opened the horn up to my liking.

On another horn I have the 238 Vindabona Bell and the 25S leadpipe is wonderful. Don't know how this would work with a 229 bell but my guess is it would be great.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    May I ask, those of you who bought Cliff's tuning slide with the leadpipe, did you get the rounded one or squared one? (aka Bach style) I REALLY don't like the H pipe on the 239 I have - just intonation - YIKES - and might consider replacing the leadpipe sometime down the line. It sure has a sweet sound though.

7. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I got the rounded one. I tried to play on just the leadpipe with my bach slide, but it just wasnt the same as with his tuning slide on it also.

If you can make the trip up to his shop, do it. I played on a ton of pipes and he let me take 3 home.

I also HATED my H pipe. I feel like the blackburn stuff completly transformned my C into a horn I actually like to play.