Leadpipe on Brecker's horn...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by spit_valve, Dec 19, 2009.

1. spit_valve

spit_valve New Friend

Aug 2, 2008
    It appears that Randy Brecker plays a Yamaha trumpet however the leadpipe is not typical. In particular the receiver. My guess would be that it adjusts the gap of the mouthpiece.

I would like to know more about it. Who does this custom work? What is the approximate cost?

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I was lucky enough to be his chauffeur when he played a local jazz fest. It is indeed an adjustable gap receiver. I do not remember who he said did the work.

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    People, have you never heard of "google?" I read the first message, went to google and entered "adjustable gap receiver" and got a string of hits.

Here's the link to the first one:
    Trumpet Geeks International-Mouthpiece Gap

4. spit_valve

spit_valve New Friend

Aug 2, 2008
    I will behave myself on this reply so Rowuk does not have to apply his abilities as censor.

Dhbailey,
    Thank you for your reply and yes I am quite familiar with Google. Unless I missed something, I found references to this type of device however there were no definitive information on Brecker's equipment.

I know, I'll try a different search engine... Or maybe a Trumpet Master member has the "inside scoop". Isn't that what this site is about? Peace!

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I apologize for my flip and uncalled for reply -- I was actually replying to the previous reply, not to your original message. There are ways to find out the information on the adjustable-gap receivers, which the first reply said was what was different about Brecker's leadpipe.

I realize my reply came off much more sarcastic and cruel than I intended.

I'm sorry.

6. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I believe Courtois does adjustable mouthpiece receivers, correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know though, whether these are available separately, or whether they just come with their horns as standard.

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Why would I google it when I saw it in person. I wasn't particularly worried about who did the work on his horn. I assumed Yammie did it for him.