Leadpipe sizes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Shoreham, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Shoreham

Shoreham New Friend

Dec 28, 2009
    Tonbridge. Kent UK
    The various combinations of a trumpet's leadpipe, in combination with its valve cluster size, and of course the mouthpiece, have a considerable bearing on the way at trumpet plays.
    So, does anyone have an information about the range of leadpipe sizes that are generally available and what is a good size (or sizes) for small group jazz playing; and secondly for big band work? (but not lead playing)
    Thanks.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    It is all in the taper. Where the taper starts, where it finishes, how it blends into the cylindrical section... etc etc etc.

The beginning diameter has to match the end of the mouthpiece backbore (with the appropriate gap), and the end diameter has to match the diameter of the tuning slide (in most cases this is equal to the bore of the horn).

I recommend against micro-managing any of these particular details; rather play the horn and see how it performs as a single unit. Just because product/taper, shape works on one horn does not mean it will work on another. Look at the whole instrument.

3. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Look at Will Spencer Uks website, theres a lot about leadpipes on that.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpetplus is dead on.

The leadpipe is a factor, but in my opinion, way behind where the braces are placed, the material, thickness and taper of the bell, the location of the valve cluster as well as the match between mouthpiece and horn - not even considering the chops of the player.

To make an intelligent decision on things musical, YOU need to play before you pay. Our prejudices are of little use for your investment.

I think a lighter horn is better suited for lead playing than a heavy one especially if you are using microphones. My prejudice. I would probably not buy a gold brass belled horn either, or a horn with braces far forward. My decision however, would be based on a blind comparison with somebody that I trust listening, then a trial in the band.