Leadpipe Talk

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Okay, as some of you who have read my posts for a while may know, I am normally a person who prefers the large, open leadpipes.

Here lately, though, I have been toying around with my equipment, and have starting thinking if maybe the tighter side of the leadpipe spectrum would be more up my alley.

Anyone out there wanting to throw their opinions in on this? What is the opinion on tighter pipes? More efficient blow? Better slotting? Better feel? How does this effect the color of the tone?

Van

2. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    By tighter leadpipe do you mean a tighter venturi? what's the bore size of the horn itself?

I've experimented w/ leadpipes of differning venturis, but all opening up to ML--around .460"--at the slide end, because that was the bore of the horn I was playing.

One interesting thing about the classic Olds horns--the Specials and Supers had a much tighter initial venturi than the Ambassadors, Recordings, etc. This gave them a decent lead quality...

It can also make a horn feel smaller-bore than it really is....

if you want to try this out, call Rich ita, ask him to send you a half-dozen Pilczuks, w. different venturis, and see for yourself...

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I would say that the leadpipe and starting bore on my Schilke B6 are pretty tight. It took some time to get used to, but I've come to where I really like it now. I don't have to blow nearly as hard to get the horn to respond, but when I give it the gas, it just lights on fire.

4. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    It is not only the venturi, that is the begining of the leadpipe, but also the taper. There are many possible combinations of tapers. Like bell shapes, many chances.

Gus

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    So many possible combinations with leadpipes, mouthpieces, bells, bracing.... It makes my head hurt.

I would like a leadpipe that allows me less space for error. I don't like the feeling of a lot of room between notes, which is the feeling I sometimes get with more open pipes.

I think I will speak with Mr. Ita about this!

Van