Leaking air around embouchure.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 7cjbill2, Mar 28, 2012.

1. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    When I usually first start out practicing, I get a lot of air "leakage" out around the mouthpiece. I do have thin lips, is it a flexibility issue or do my muscles need more development. For that fact, has anyone used the PETE and has it helped?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If it only happens when you 1st start, (do I dare say it?). It's a warm-up issue. Phew! Said it. Let the onslaught begin! ROFL

3. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Well, yes, it's during my warm-up routine (lip-slurs, mostly).

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Does the air leakage go away as you play? how long have to be playing?

5. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    No, it seems to get worse as I tire. I notice my lips between the teeth and mpc puffing up, too. It's almost like I can't "hold it together" so-to-speak.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Sure wish I could see you play. My first guess would be excessive pressure. But that is a result of something else not working the way it should.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Bob gives online lessons ... now would be a good time to consider that option.
    IMHO

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

As usual everybody here has it wrong. 7cjbill has described a CONDITION of his but not a PROBLEM.

Blue socks are not a problem. poorly fitting shoes or flat feet are. In this post.7 cjbill is stating (metaphorically speaking that is) that he has "blue socks".

Poor tone, bad intonation, lack of endurance and/or volume, range weakness are PROBLEMS. Air leakage is a condition is all.

To make the point more clear: While in college jazz great Donald Byrd was told that he "needed to stop the air from leaking around his lips". Six months later he won a Grammy. No one can remember his teacher...

My lips leak a little air. Big freaking deal! So what?

Gosh i wish that people on this forum could LEARN A LITTLE CRITICAL THINKING before they post statements. A post giving advice should have value. Always based upon REASONED OPINION and research. If not?

Just say "well shucks I dunno" Or not post anything at all.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Local .. I agree and disagree .... I have a leak.. always have ... and since I could actually play pretty good NONE of my instructors messed with it ... so yes a leak is a leak is a leak. When I tried to get rid of the leak.. that being the goal.. I started screwing up my playing ... so we agree again
    but
    There is a point where a leak is a symtom of too much pressure ... over blowing ... I don't know this one for a fact but I imagine a spread embrouchure might exagerate it ( like I said not too sure). When I started working on my flexibility across larger intervals and playing with less movement ... working on getting the horn to resonate softly ... the leak diminished quite a bit. That is my experience with a leak.
    side note: In college I was the first chair player , the kid who sat next to me wore a wind breaker because of the leak .. and associated mist .... poor kid.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  10. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    As I was saying to someone, this wasn't a problem 20 years ago when I played regularly and was much younger. It's almost as if my playing ability now is surpassing my physical ability or stamina for some reason. Am I overblowing? -- not sure, but it makes sense because at the same time air escapes from my lips it sometimes feels like it escapes from my sinuses too. Is this lack of strength in my diaphragm to control the air column?