Leaking air around embouchure.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 7cjbill2, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    7cjbill2,
    I began my comeback on a 7C mpc and was doing OK. I switched to a 3C and experienced a little air leakage, which I simply do not like. I read some stuff (Colin, I believe) and realized that I had slipped into some lip stretching when I positioned my mpc. I tried using a slight pucker and made sure my breath support was what it should be. This seemed to help me.
    Jim

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe you should take your own advise.

3. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I'm working on it and as I continue I believe it might be a muscle conditioning problem. I took a couple days off from practicing, and when I picked it back up it seems to have been a little better the next time I played. I'm going to change my practice regimen to probably 3-on/1-off/2-on/1-off, just like I do in cycling, and see if that helps me out. I've also ordered the PETE to try out on those days I'm NOT practicing or sitting around vegetating on the couch or surfing.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You can also try the pencil exercise. Just google and go to Eric Bolvin's videos. Good stuff and Eric's a good guy too! There's also the "Hose trumpet"!! 9 feet of trumpet playing (moose calling) pleasure. :roll::roll: Mines the Bach model, since that's the bell that was available. It's always good for a laugh when in town. Slip the bell out the vent and toot away!! Can you say, "Ricola"!

Ricola uit Zwitserland, meestal met dertien kruiden - YouTube

5. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I read that Claude Gordon had students that had air leaks and one in particular who when playing a high note, his lips would flap so much that CG could see his teeth! But CG said that he was ok with that ina student, as long as the student was playing the note correctly.

6. Cornetista

Cornetista New Friend

Dec 22, 2011
    Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
    I find this an interesting point, should you practice every single day or should you have a regular break as 7cjbill2 is going to try. I'm not a great one for the gym these days but when I was younger I remember being advised that you should not exercise the same group of muscles every day, only every other day, as your muscles need a break to recover and develop from the previous days workout. As far as trumpet playing is concerned I have been told I should practice every day but I also sometimes wonder if the micro muscles around my lips need to have a regular break. Any thoughts?

7. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I notice when i take a day off, when i get back on, my lips/embouchere are stronger. tho i'm still relatively new to it all.

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Practice Routines

I'm writing from the perspective of a serious comeback hobbyist. Is there any chance we make these topics of practice frequency and routine more complicated than necessary? When I practice, I think I know when it is time to stop via the "feel" of the playing experience and quality of tone I produce. If I have a day where something I practiced the previous day isn't working well, due to articulation, range or whatever, I practice something else. We each have our unique individual tolerances for the work of trumpet playing. The OP may indeed find success with an approach that includes rest days. Others may not notice much difference. Lots of variables.
    Jim

9. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    I was told by someone "really" into working out, that REST is just as important as EXERCISE. Your muscles need time to heal. He said that as you work your muscles, you get "micro-tears" in the muscle tissue and re-building the tears/making additional "connections" is what makes you stronger. That can only take place with rest between work-outs. It makes sense to me, and I've definitely noticed the difference when cycling. So clearly, rest has "worked" for me in the past and I'm eager to see if it applies to my practice sessions as well.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I would like to suggest a light wam up day as oppose to no time on the horn .... super soft long tones and pedals... just a thought

codyb226 likes this.