Leaking air around embouchure.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 7cjbill2, Mar 28, 2012.

1. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    I completely agree with Local here.

A former teacher of mine who was in many orchestra's on the east coast and was a former student of Armando Ghitalla and William Vacchianno had some serious air leakage on each side of the mouth - and, indeed, sounded FANTASTIC. Could he have been more efficient without this air leakage? Maybe. But he, irregardless of this "problem", sounded amazing.

My advice to 7cjbill2 would be to get a GREAT concept of sound by listening to recordings, watching others play, etc. (It takes years to develop this!) Your brain and body, so long as you put the neccesary hours into the practice room, will unconciously make steps towards a more efficient system. In the process, symptoms like leaking air around the embouchure will likely be "forgotten".

Also, a lot of great concepts and philosophies on brass playing espoused here are taken right from Arnold Jacob's Song and Wind, which you might want to take a look at.

Like Local says, this superficial leaking air around the embouchure "problem" is most likely a symptom of bigger fundamental problems - but at the same time could just be a natural facet of your playing.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    This isn't completely relevant, and I'm no pro, just a high school student, but I would imagine that most pro's have the mentality "how can I make this sound GREAT" instead of "how can I get this to stop sounding so BAD".

4. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    The PETE is a great tool to help strengthen your existing embaucher. It won't correct a bad one.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    7cjbill2, please don't approach practicing the horn like a physical workout. While there is a slight similarity, you should never practice to the point of extreme fatigue as some athletes do. Muscling your way on the horn just leads to bad habits. From what you descrbed it appears you are doing something wrong. Possibly trying to play on an embouchure that isn't ready to play at the level you are trying to play at. Air leakage could be a sympton of bigger problems from what you've described. A good teacher can make a proper diagnosis.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The PETE and pencil exercise are good for players with develop embouchures. They won't help your embouchure develop in learning to play.

Sofus likes this.
  7. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Well, just as another update. It has improved a little bit after taking those breaks in between practice days. Still, I don't know whether it was a real problem or there was something going on in my head/with my muscles un-related to any type of mental or psychological block. What seems to be helping are the days off, and also working on breathing. I was catching myself breathing with my "chest" and not pushing with my "stomach". And that lead me to think maybe I was trying to force more volume of air or more air pressure to do things my embouchure wasn't capable of doing.

I never practice to physical exertion or burnout, however, with my schedule I do find myself in marathon practice sessions depending on the time I have available and what gigs I have upcoming. I appreciate all the advice from all the regulars. Still, though, I'm TERRIFIED of the mental anguish and the suffering that may occur going to a private lesson teacher in that he/she will "mess" with the way I currently play.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    That's why you need to find one with a good teaching rep and one you can trust.
    A comment about skipping days .... in college I knew guys who like to play with "tight chops" .... when you skip a day of practice usually your chops get tight ( I know mine do) but it really isn't good for endurance and dexterity around the instrument. The tight chop thing will get your embrouchure together for a little while but eventually while you are playing things will start breaking down. A case could be made that you probably won't find a good trumpet player or instructor that will suggest taking a day off as part of a regular practice regime( meaning each week).
    Bob Grier has a great rep ... gives online lessons too .... definitely worth a shot.

9. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Yes, finding one you can trust is the key. When it happened before it destroyed my self-confidence along with my ability. When I started at age 7, I continued to surpass EVERYONE in ability around me. I was playing high C's in sixth grade....until a lesson teacher started messing with my chops, then through HS and college I fell behind, and back to mediocre at best. It was mortifying and what caused me to quit entirely.