Leaking air around spit valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tgunsthought, May 17, 2011.

1. Tgunsthought

Tgunsthought New Friend

Apr 22, 2011
    Anyone know of good repair shop or trustworthy technician in clear lake Tx area. :-(

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Do you believe more is needed other than replacing the cork?

3. Tgunsthought

Tgunsthought New Friend

Apr 22, 2011
    Yes, the spring just doesn't hold enough tension on the assembly

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've seen severely worn corks where the spring lessens pressure. Can you observe a deep impression in your cork? Changing out a spring is a pain, especially for nubby or the arthritic fingers of age, but then the question is obtaining a spring that is functional. Ford parts don't fit Chevrolets.

The overload of school instruments going to repair shops early in the summer severly increases the turn around time for repairs to instruments for you and me.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. Tgunsthought

Tgunsthought New Friend

Apr 22, 2011
    Thanks for responding, the cork does have signs of moderate wear (impression) not terrible, perhaps 1/4 of the overall depth. The spring shows corrosion and thinning in critical areas, and is weak. I'm sure that is my fault. I have never taken that assembly apart. I am the only owner of this horn, I have only used warm soapy water to clean then I let it air dry before putting it up. The horn has some age, about 46 years.

I agree with your statement concerning replacement parts. That is another reason that I'm looking for a reputable shop/trustworthy technician. I have looked at the manufacturers web site and it appears that they offer limited parts. I suppose that would be true considering the age of the horn.

6. Tgunsthought

Tgunsthought New Friend

Apr 22, 2011
    Does anyone know or recommend Flemmings musical instrument repair, located in Houston, Tx. Inside north inner loop 610' off of 18th street.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You can probably do it yourself if you can get the parts. You tube has scads of instructional videos. It's not that hard to do.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's not a business name known nationally in the "trade" which is not to say they are good or bad. What I'm leery of when they aren't known to me is that they are only a "drop shop" for brass instruments (maybe the others also) vis they are only a middleman for the actual tech. Assuming the part(s) needed are in stock, the task as you describe is less than a half hour job even for me ... and I am NOT in the musical repair business. I've just many years of experience where I had to make do with what was available, even to scrounge from other instruments. I can only remember back to the early "50s where our high school band had not yet been able to get new instruments or engage competent techs following WWII and the onset of the Korean Conflict ... thus I personally did this repair to at least a dozen instruments. I can say a drop of valve oil or even WD-40 on this spring may have prevented your present problem ... my rule after a bath is a full and complete re-lube. Water key corks are normally secured with rim fit and a touch of rubber cement beneath ... but use only sulphur free rubber cement as is available.

Your horn manufacturer may have limited parts ... but these may be for only instruments produced in the last ten years (in the U.S. a Federal mandate). With older instruments, one has to rely on the after market suppliers or the scrap pile scroungers by techs that have such stock piles of old parts.

What helps is to identify the manufacturer and model of your instrument right down to the nitty gritty of a serial number. Don't try to fool me that my Conn Director Coprion trumpet or CD cornet or my Olds Ambassador trumpet were made in the last 10 years, because I known durn well they are over 40 years old, and yet I know competent tech could restore them to new or better condition.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    OK, I went to my resources and found that Ed Fleming dba Fleming Instrument Repair is a member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT).

I have them located at 1818 West 18th St, Houston TX 77008
    Phone: 713 426-3663

You'll not know unless you give them a call ...

Tell them: 1. What you perceive your problem to be, and 2. What instrument brand, type and model the problem is on.
    Ask them: 1. Can they repair?, 2. Cost estimate ?, and 3. Availability and turn around time? (in - out)?

Conclusion: It is such a simple job but a very essential one, that it really doesn't take much much skill or competency ... you don't need to shop at "Tiffany's" or have your "Rolls Royce" repaired.

10. Tgunsthought

Tgunsthought New Friend

Apr 22, 2011
    Thanks fellas, (tobylou, and Ed) your comments have convinced me to take on this task. I found a repair kit. Thanks for your responses

tgunsthought
    King Silver Flair ser# 422986