Leaking air around spit valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tgunsthought, May 17, 2011.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Tgunsthought,

If all you need is a new spring and cork, pick up one by email and do it yourself. Installing a spring and cork is about like using a can opener to open a can. Pretty easy. A good five minutes if you study it for 4. You don't need to worry about the reputation of a shop. This is about the most minor repair possible.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Do wear safety glasses (just in case). ;-):thumbsup:

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    We can say we have such and such, but that is almost as bad as saying we have a "ball" instead of a USA manufactured Reach brand baseball (no longer made in USA, and to my knowledge not elsewhere). Even models by manufacturer are in constant change, such being to say parts ordered on internet may not always fit the instrument we have.

Toby Lou, excellent safety tip whereas springs always seem to propel themselves and/or some other part. I might go further and say wear a safety face plate and you might think I look silly wearing my riot helmet, but it functioned great when I couldn't find my face shield. These are times I wouldn't want to hear about a lip cut or a broken tooth as well as an eye injury.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO the most minor repair and perhaps the most often requested is the removal of a mouthpiece from the leadpipe. With the right custom designed tool, it could be done faster than it took me to key this post ( I am not a skilled typist like my wife ). Yep, trained techs in a shop have many springs and corks available and are more likely to be able to fit them with no hassle of returning one by mail or carrier that doesn't fit. A few dimes to the tech often saves me the mental stress and it's not because I'm lazy.

Last edited: May 19, 2011