Leaking water from the bell??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chrishawk4, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Chrishawk4

Chrishawk4 New Friend

Nov 4, 2008
    Detroit, Michigan
    My Bach Strad leaks water from the bell everytime I play it, and I was just wondering if that is normal. Thanks

Chris

2. habitatchad

habitatchad Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2008
    Clinton, TN
    Yep :bash:

3. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    it is more than likely just condensation being pushed through the horn as you play. If you don't hear any gurgling and it doesn't other wise effect your playing, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Just hold your bell over a clarinet players head so you don't ruin the stage deck when you are playing in concert!! :D

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It is more than likely condensation as et Mike said. An idea might be to drain the spit keys more often and it could cut down on the amount.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My trumpet teacher used to tell me that that was a sign of proper breath support. It was a lie, but I was pretty proud back then.

Let it drip.

6. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Sell it to the flute players, they'll drink anythingROFL

HSOtrumpet1 likes this.
  7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Wow!!! I never had that problem I always emptied my spit valves though any chance I got! Now when I played Bariton and Tuba I had more condensation issues then ever because it took a lot of playing to warm that much brass up. Their definately is nothing wrong with your Bach though if that was what you where worried about? You must also fog up the inside of the car you drive badly too if you do not run the defrost? I would guess that you just put a lot of water vapor out throughyour lungs as in more then average. I do have one question though how does the water run out of the bell do you play with your bell pointing down? I ask because if your bell is pointing up gravity should not allow it to come out of the bell?

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    happens to me. i just keep a rag handy.

9. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Empty your spit valves more frequently and as stated above, get a nice smooth cloth and put on your lap/knee during the time you practice/play. This is common in the trumpet.

10. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    i get that in both my 3 and flugel. heck you wipe down the horn after anyway,which is good
    practice on your part
    the CGs have "steam" coming out of them..........
    ........ looks coool and trippy at the same time.......... it happens
    wipe your horn
    aloha,