Leaking

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nosray, Apr 3, 2009.

1. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Hello,
    I just wondered after coming back from a week and a half vacation/hiatus my embrochoure started leaking air after about 15 minutes of playing. I play lead trumpet in Grade 8 Jazz Band, and I was wondering how to fix my problem.
    I was thinking maybe the pencil method would help, but I'm not sure, so I come to you guys for help :-)

Thanks,
    nosray

2. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Try soft long tones and doing etudes of extended length. It will take a day or so to regain your strength - but you HAVE TO rest when your chops get tired and leak. Your muscles need to regain strength. The pencil exercise is okay, but it's easy to overdue it and tire things out more. Playing will do more good than harm! Look for LONG etudes - a full page, etc. It does NOT have to be high - just long.

Read my book!

Keith Fiala
    Welcome to Brass Player Solution

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Practice everything very soft especially long tones and lip slurs,scales, as soon as you start to leak or feel tired ,stop and rest for about 5 minutes , remember rest for at least as long as you play, it may take a few days so don't worry.

4. Keith Fiala

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
  5. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The chops are feeling a little better, but I think that little vacation has ruined my endurance too!

6. Keith Fiala

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Nah - not ruined... only a razor blade to the lips or a baseball bat to the teeth would "ruin" your endurance... just start reading longer tunes, improvise... anything to keep the horn to your face for long periods - then REST!