Leaky Air Through the Nose- Thoughts and Musings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ndelson, May 10, 2006.

1. ndelson

ndelson New Friend

Sep 2, 2005
    Hey everyone,

A while back there was a post about this in Manny's forum. I was having this problem for a while and sort of freaked out when I heard people starting to mention surgery, ENTs, and skin grafts so I figured I would post this here...feel free to add any ideas of your own or dismiss any of my own.

----------------------------------------------------

Every once in a while I’ll come across a post regarding a leakage of air through the nose while playing. Since I have (had) this problem too, I usually would check it out. Thanks to reading a few of posts and some of my own experimentation, I think I figured it out.

Manny Laureano had suggested to “try to hold in a laugh†as a way to test the leak. Sometimes I would work for me and other times I would get that really raspy sinus sound right away. Well, I figured out why. When you have neck tension, the air leaks. Try this:

Pull your chin towards your chest and try that exercise. Pretend that you are trying not to laugh. The air should come right through the nose. Now, align your head a little more vertically. Sit up straight. Sort of lift your head as if you are being suspended by puppet strings (thank you Calvin Price). Try the exercise again. For me, I can hold the laugh in indefinitely. Try the same thing while playing. The alignment seems to become more important as you ascend to the top of the staff and above. I guess that’s a no brainer.

I don’t know how much this will help anyone reading this, but I figured it was worth posting just in case somebody was having this problem.

Good luck!

Neil

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I've never had an issue with this. It's good to see that those who do have found a way to deal with it...

Thanks for posting; I'm sure you've helped someone. :grouphug:

3. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    This of course all depends on whether or not you have the actually medical condition that causes one to potentially need surgery. If you had said problem this laughing thing doesn't work out so well. I have what is termed an "incompitent palatte", which basically just means that my soft palatte is not big enough to physically close off the pasage between my mouth and my nose. When I finish playing a passage I often have to make a strange almost sneezing noise to release the pressure that this has caused. Also, it is physically impossible for me to breathe in and out of my mouth without some air going in and out of my nose as well.
    I would assume that one would only be a candidate for surgery if the person exibited some of these symptoms.

4. ndelson

ndelson New Friend

Sep 2, 2005
    fundenlight,

I do understand the palatte dysfuction, but I wanted to sort of let everyone know that if they are having these symptoms, there might be an easier solution. I entertained the idea that I might have this problem and if a doctor told me I needed it, I probably would have unnecisarily gone under the knife. What presented itself as a soft palate issue turned out to be a much simpler problem.

Thanks for your input!
    Neil

5. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    In some sense that was what I was implying as well. Your suggestions do not work for those with an actually medical condition, however, if one does not have a medical perhaps surgery is not the way to go... Some people here about this problem and that problem and kind of jump on the wagon "Oh, if I get surgery then I'll play better". Most of us keep trying to find a gimmick to help us play better instantly. If you don't have a medical condition I certainly would not suggest surgery as being one of those options.
    As you said, the easiest solution here is the best option.