leaky lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by equivariant, Aug 4, 2009.

1. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    Ok, I know that embouchure problems are tricky to diagnose without actually seeing me play, but I don't have access to my teacher for a few weeks, so I thought I would ask here for advice

I am having problems with air leaking out from the corners - I can feel little bubbles of air leaking out occasionally. I have only been playing for 10 months. Any tips to sort this out?

2. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    i had the same problem, try to tighten up the corners of your mouth just a bit and see if that helps, if not, maybe you should use just alittle more pressure with your mouthpiece to finish the seal if an improper seal is the case, but make sure not to use to much pressure its uncomfortable and dont pinch your lips, just use you facial muscles to tighten the edges alittle

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The main tip to sort it out is to keep on practicing -- the muscles of your whole mouth area need to get strengthened and need to learn how to work together.

Long tones can help solve this problem, but time will be the biggest help. Time playing the instrument.

Work on just lip-buzzing, not with a mouthpiece. That you can practice anywhere, anytime (well, not quite anywhere but most places). That can help build the muscles faster than simply playing the instrument.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    no more pressure, just lots of slurs.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I leak a little from time to time. I don't think it's a big deal. I think it comes from just being comfortable and not keeping the corners solid. I can play about an octave (maybe more) without giving any thought to my embouchure. If I don't warm up and just play, the corners are loose. I Think that's when they leak.

6. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Yes I agree with dhbailey , plenty of lip buzzing in the car, on the street , where ever , it will build your muscles . I do it most days and I've been playing awhile , just be patient you'll get there .

7. longhorn747

longhorn747 Pianissimo User

Dec 22, 2007
    Try the pencil trick...

8. birferd

birferd New Friend

Oct 24, 2008
    Lindenhurst, IL
    Don't worry about the corners of your mouth. The focus should be on the center, where you buzz. Heck, when I get done with a long session, the bell crook is covered with splatter. I think it happens toward the end of the night and in the upper registers, but who knows? And who cares. With only 10 months under your belt, you sound very aware of your technique. That is good. Focus on the center and the edges will take care of themselves.

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

Wrong!!! Leaking is a sign that either you're doing something wrong with your embochure, or your embochure is too weak. A good fix for both is to practice long tones and slurs SLOWLY. Pay attention NOT to let your corners open up and leak. Gradually, with these exercises, your embochure and the supporting facial muscles, along with the corners should strengthen up.

bigtiny

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I guess I'm wrong. I can play and my sound is good and I have more endurance than most. My range goes from Low F (with the slides ) up three octaves to F above high C. Why would I care?