Learned music from the piano, but LOVE the trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by johnny ray, Sep 13, 2011.

1. johnny ray

johnny ray Pianissimo User

May 17, 2010
    I learned music and music theory by learning to play the piano; I took lessons for 10 years, and I love the piano. However, what is it about the playing the trumpet that makes me feel so much better and different than playing the piano? I only took trumpet lessons for a couple of years a long long time ago. Now, I play mostly just the trumpet and only very seldomly touch the ivories. So what are your thoughts on the origination of that great feeling and pleasure that comes from playing the trumpet? Why do I feel like "part of the trumpet", but don't have that same feeling with the piano? Just interested in your thoughts.

JR

codyb226 likes this.
  2. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    I have had the same experience. Interested in what others will say...

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I, too, learned first on the piano. It was invaluable for learning theory and music reading (both bass and treble clef). I am very happy that I learned that first. But, once I played the trumpet, I never touched the piano again (that was 55 years ago).

While I don't have a passion for the piano, I do wish that I had continued to play it a bit. There are times when being able to plunk out some tunes on the piano is a big advantage. But, there is just something about the trumpet...:cool:

4. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    The trumpet is much closer to the human voice than a keyboard. You have direct input into every aspect of the sound (pitch, timbre, dynamics, articulation, etc). and, when played correctly, just seems to "speak" or "sing". Not that piano is not an expressive instrument in the hands of a master, but (for someone who plays both) there is no comparison.

5. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    I started trumpet about two years before I began playing the piano (@9 years-old). But, once I got rolling on the piano, so many aspects of music theory started to fall into place that made the trumpet more understandable and appreciated.

I still tinkle the ivories today, though not as much as I probably should.

But, if you look at the biographies of prominent trumpet players, you'll likely see piano lessons in their youthful past.

6. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Many instruments can be expressive in the hands of an artist but the sound is coming from the instrument vice the artist themselves. I think because the sound comes from us.