Learning about brass repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Youri le god, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    How does one go about learning to repair brass instruments? Are there any part time courses available. What kind of skills are needed?

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    You could look around for natural trumpet building camps during the summer. I plan on attending one at least one year.

I was always interested in how brass repair techs got into their profession.

Van

3. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Here you go, lads ... click-on to this link :

www.NAPBIRT.org

Robert Rowe

4. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    Cheers, that looks interesting. It's a bit of a trek from London though. I've found a school in Wales that has several very well priced courses. I'll post the link

5. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    Hi freinds;
    Interesting topic. Like 2 years ago I was interested in trumpet maintenance and repair. I buy a Manual In PDf, that its a simple but valuable tool. It also cover woodwind and brass. Following the instructions and with the few tools I have, I have service 10 trumpets with excellent, results. if any of you want a copy I can sell it for 10 dollars. Just contact me at
    [email protected]
    I acept paypal
    Thanks

Pd The manual helps a lot, the course its the ideal. Its like play trumpet. The horn its esential and the books are complements.

6. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I really recommend that anyone with even a mild interest look into band instrument repair. At Red Wing Technical College (Minnesota, USA), I was amazed at how many of the students were jazz afficionatos / players, etc., that finally realized they needed to "connect" with the "Real World", and prepare to get a job. There is a dearth of trained repair technicians.

Just think back on all the posts and queries in this Forum relative to horn repairs and "issues".

I remember reading a national survey rating 200 employment careers by stress-level. President of the United States was #1, and Band Instrument Repair Technician was #200.

Think about it.

Robert Rowe

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    For someone who is just looking for a few tips on fixing their student's horns and not looking to make a career in repair there is a book written by R.F. "Peg" Meyer. It used to be available on Amazon. I haven't looked recently.