Learning from a slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by simonstl, Feb 23, 2015.

1. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    As part of my continuing slow accumulation of brass objects, I got a slide trumpet / soprano trombone today. It takes a trumpet mouthpiece, is tuned to Bb, and resembles an uncoiled bugle with a slide.

Bugle has been a lot of fun, teaching me more about how my lips feel at different notes and providing me with an easy practice tool I can leave on my desk. (Home office.)

The slide, though, is amazing, and not just for the glissando. I'd thought the main challenge would be finding the positions on the slide, and yes, that's tricky, especially on the smaller slide. The hardest part, though, is adjusting my lips in an environment without clean steps. On the bugle, I'm controlling it all with my embouchure and air, and on the trumpet, I think I've become so used to the interactions between my fingers on the valves and my lips that I forget how hard it was to learn in the first place.

On the slide, I have to focus in a different way. The interaction feels different, and it'll be a fun few weeks re-acquainting myself with the basics.

Apparently I'm not (too) crazy for finding this interesting:

Lessons Learned from the Slide Trumpet - Music for Brass.com

More fun ahead! If you haven't tried one of these, you should, even if it's just for fun.

Thanks,

2. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I knw where you're coming from here. I bought a trombone last year and found learning the slide positions so they actually stuck a lot harder than I had anticipated. Respect to those who have mastered this instrument. And yes, you can't beat the glissandos!

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Mine has been giving me headaches for years - just can't seem to wrap my mind around those tiny slide positions! I sound like a 10yr old with really good chops - frustrating little beast!! It is fun to play, though. I struggle through some scales and some ballads - maybe one day I'll be proficient enough to take it out in public! It's been quite humiliating to have that little slide get the best of me when concentrated practice on other trumpets yield excellent results. I may just need some study with a trombone player in the future!