Learning Jazz

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by neal085, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother
    ...a clarinetist who would quote jazz standards like crazy in his solos. It was a delight to listen to, kind of a fun version of "Name That Tune." I'd much rather hear someone quoting that way than regurgitating licks.
    g-man sez:
    Dr.Mark isn't going to like that.
    --------------
    On the contrary, I've done similar things on performances and it's a lot of fun. In fact, if I ever make it to P-burgh while you guys are there and you're up to it, we can see who can squeeze out the most tunes on So What by Miles Davis.
    Dr.Mark

2. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    You heard it hear first, GM acknowledging my greatness.

I'll be a household name by February. Woo-hoo!

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    neal285,

Whatever you are beginning to get into, and the 12 bar blues is an excellent place to start, I recommend you not read your lines from a book. You need to learn jazz by training your ear, which means, teach yourself to play the head (melody) by ear. Once you have the head down, you can vary it by playing above or below it in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, and by ornamenting.

Jazz is EAR music.

4. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    My head knows that. My stupid horn can't figure it out. Here's a photo of me taken immediately following a practice session with Aebersold.

Angry Calvin.jpg

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Squeezing songs out of a modal tune like "So What" is cheating. Now, if you're planning to see how many songs you can squeeze out of "Giant Steps" .... ;-)

Mike

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    During the Holidays, Keigo, the EBQ pianist, managed to squeeze Giant Steps into the "Christmas Song". He also wrote a killer version of Greensleeves that changed keys every 8 to 12 measures! Dr.Mark almost had the chance to witness. Almost.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Cool!

8. RobFerg

RobFerg New Friend

Jan 3, 2013
    Kimberton, PA
    I would recommend a book Exploring Jazz Trumpet by Weston and Armstrong published by Scott. Probably the best $30 I've spent on music. Coker's Complete Method for Improvisation is also worth a look

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    . . . and food who's ingredients you don't recognize. :D

Regarding quotes, coincidentally, just a little earlier, I posted some thoughts about this on another forum, which I'll cut & paste here.

"I just was listening to jazz radio Berlin playing a version of "Hit The Road Jack" featuring "Fathead" Newman and he quoted Sonny Rollins them from "Alphie" actually somewhat incorporating it into his use of the "Jack" melody - which made me laugh - and it hit me how often I've been listening to music, either live or recorded, and chuckled at how a soloist quoted some melody or excerpt from another soloist's classic recorded improvisation, and someone listening with me didn't get it at all.

Now, I'm not putting them down, but it has dawned on me just how much more of the music someone is missing when one isn't on the inside of some musical joke or quote. Just last night, I was playing Horn in "Sylvia" and there's an important horn line, easily identifiable with this piece of music, which is actually a quote from Siegfried's Horn call from the opera of the same name.

Just sharing this thought, that when people don't study the roots, there are just things that one could enjoy even more, if they did."

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Take your time and enjoy it. No need to try too much too soon. If you've any questions about Aebersold 1 please post. I'm sure quite a few of us have had it at one time or another.