Learning Other Instruments?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Jul 25, 2008.

1. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I am one for experimenting and even though I am progressing forward in trumpet and love it. I would just for a love of music like to learn another instrument...

I am wondering which instruments could be harmful to my embrouchre...

Instrumnets I have potential access through (via friends and family):

Keyboard/Piano (currently learning for theory and what not)
    Clarinet (my mom has one)
    Flute (my girlfriend)
    Trombone (my frined has an old one)
    Euphonium

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Keyboard can be so important down the road, so you'll want to stick with that. After that I'd choose euphonium.

Trading lessons with a girlfriend flute player sounds like a lot of fun, though!

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'd second the keyboard, being able to play it is really useful is music,
    and then trombone or euphonium, because sometimes they'll need an extra low-brass player for some tune... (just don't let them know until they really need it, otherwise they may try to convert you!)

4. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    I have owned and played all of those instruments, however I really
    havn't spent much time with the trombone (It's a slide thing). :thumbdown:

As a kid I started on piano. I agree with VB to stick with it. It will do you no harm, and can only help. Since I learned at such an early age, reading bass and treble clef has always been second nature for me. That has always been a big help when learning a new instrument, since I don't have to learn how to read while learning to play. It's made it much easier for me.

As for clarinet and flute, they won't have any negative impact on your brass playing as they are both very different from the trumpet. By the way, sax would be an easier woodwind to learn. The sax, clarinet, and flute all share some common fingering. The sax is the easiest to start up with of the three. If you decide to stay with it, you could then transition from the sax to either or both and use much of the sax skills to assist your development there.

I first learned to play baritone/euphonium prior to the trumpet. From my experience, it's a lot easier to pickup then the trumpet. I'm not such a great trumpet player so the experts here will have a more definitive opinion regarding if playing the euphonium will have a negative impact on your trumpet play. Since you already play the trumpet, the euphonium is the easiest instrument to learn. I would recommend the euphonium over the trombone.

I say learn them all. Some people will tell you that you can't play them all. You can, just realize that one should always be your main focus, and development of the rest will have to take a back seat to that. This means of course, that you won't be able to play them all as well as your main choice. But the reality is, you can play well enough to sit it in for a wide range of groups and settings. Just don't expect to play lead at every position !

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  5. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    you have a good point. Myself being a brass man would probably find it best to stick in the brass family. Finding a euph or sax would be harder than any of the other instruments. My friend wants to give away his trombone so that would probably be my choice. Thouh personally I would enjoy euphonium or alto/tenor horn abit more...

The flute idea just seems fun to me...

6. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    It sounds like your still in high school. This is a great place to start with the other instruments that you don't have access to . Grab a few minutes here and there, from friends and whatever ...
    You don't have to own an instrument to play it.

7. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    true. one of my better friends is a euphonium/trombonist.

I actually might be able to borrow his euph till concert season then i mgiht be able to borrow his marching bartione. That could be one way to go. The trombone could be the other way, but the slide seems likea real pain to learn on your own.

Woodwinds dont make sense to me at the moment. I can make a noise on the flute, sax and clarinet, but on the clarinet it sounds more like a sax...

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmm .... trading (lip exercises and) lessons with a girl flute player .... you don't take many prisoners do you VB? There is a certain attractiveness to such a proposition though - and it probably won't damage the embouchure either.

9. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    I remember that when I was in high school ( a long-ass time ago!), I messed around with a clarinet for several months. It was fun and a cool learning experience, but I found that the pressure of my teeth on my bottom lip did cause problems for my trumpet embouchure. I remember folding a piece of cardboard over my bottom front teeth to soften the bite, but it still was difficult to maintain both embouchures. Of course, there are some players who can switch instruments with no apparent problem and sound great on each instrument. Check out Ira Sullivan, who easily switches from trumpet to sax, flute, etc. And then there's James Morrison, who plays trumpet and trombone with complete mastery. Piano, as has been said, is a must for all musicians.

Best,
    Chas

10. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I second and third the piano, I wish my piano skills were better.

As a music ed major I had to learn all. Flute was and still is a mystery to me in terms of getting a sound of it. Guitar is another good double for accompaning singing.

I do double on horn when I can borrow one. I would like to do more with learning viola and oboe.