Learning Other Instruments?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I practice chords and tunes from fakebooks on piano because it helps my theory and my arranging/composing. It is such a great instrument to know.
    I have learned the basics of sax and clarinet because of school, and Tenor sax is pretty fun to play tunes on.

I repair flutes for a living right now, so I found a fantastic Yamaha student flute on craigslist for $150 and have been teaching myself flute. This not only affect my repair ability because I can now properly play test them, but it is a fun instrument to play.

All of the instruments I try to learn on my own I do so by playing jazz tunes. It gets me familiar with hearing it, reading music from fakebooks and learning scales.

2. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    That was actually going to be my method. find some info on fingerings (the Walter piston orchestration book actually has a guide to all fingerings its kind of sick) and just play some tunes.

3. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I would say it all depends on how serious you are about your trumpet playing.Is it going to take time away from your trumpet playing?I myself can"t stay truly focused on two instruments.I played the guitar for 10 yrs. when I was younger and tried playing it last year along side my trumpet.Needless to say my trumpet playing got cut in half.After around one month I put the guitar away. You might very well have no trouble juggling two instrument.I am just trying to warn you not to fall into that jack of all trades,master of none syndrome. Which ever second instrument you choose,remember you main instrument always come first.Dedication is probally the single most important ingredient in becoming great in anything.Something I really lacked in my early years.Sorry for the lecture

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I`d go with flute, exept for the buzzing the flute embouchure is very similar to the trumpet`s. Plus it sounds like it may be more fun, but I would still try fit in some piano, [good harmonic foundation chords etc.] Have fun.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    String bass and electric bass helped finance my education, taught me some stuff about rhythm and changes too

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    This is true. Bassists always seem to have work.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    especially if they can read music and play rhythmically......................

8. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I really wanted to learn bass actually. I am trying to not spend to much money overall and I have alot of guitars around the house due to my father. My guitar playing is subpar and I am not to interested in it...

I have been learning piano. I am working through Bela Bartok's Mikrokosmos... any other suggestions.

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When you have finished the Mikrokosmos, we will be able to ask YOU questions. Make sure that you have a good TEACHER for piano. Bad habits there take CENTURIES to fix!

10. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    DAMN... My trumpet lessons are only every other week as is. I dont have a steady income at the moment and I cant afford another teacher. (I may attempt to get a weekend job...). I signed up to be an assistant for my schools summer music program, but they gave me a substitute position and its almost over and I only had one job (30 dollars per half day)... and my parents refuse to let me get a piano teacher.