Learning Piccolo Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christophac7, Aug 31, 2012.

1. christophac7

christophac7 Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2012
    Boca Raton, FL
    Hey All,

Just finally ordered my first Piccolo trumpet, and hopefully will be here within a week or so. I've only ever messed around on picc before and have no idea how to tackle learning it. Any tips or general things I should practice on it to improve my skills?

Thanks, Chris

P.S. Many thanks to Trent Austin for a wonderful deal!

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Just don't think too low. A lot of people make the mistake of playing it like a Bb trumpet that just happens to be pitched an octave higher.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Congratulations!

I purchased a couple horns from Trent. He's a great guy.

Mike

4. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    May be a good idea and to even think about doing 3-4 lessons with someone that can help you with the transition. I say this because I did 3-4 lessons with someone for fun on an Euphonium that I bought some time ago to play around with and quickly learned I was trying to play it like a trumpet and over shooting the notes / partials, etc.

Otherwise I would suggest using a piano/keyboard to mimic the notes so that you know that you are hitting them correctly

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Don;t be frightened to play with alternative fingerings to keep the thing in tune for example on mine (yes its a cheap Tristar but it plays okay for fun) what would be D above the stave is horrendous played on finger one and not too bad to lip on finger one/three

6. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Here a chart with almost all the alternative fingerings: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9BgVDFmII6oaEZPTXpSeDE4eU0/preview?pli=1
    (thanks Cornyandy for bringing it up :lol:).
    I once tried to play piccolo but I sucked at it, not a single note was in tune, might try it sometime again with practice and Lessons.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just don't overblow it or you'll lose the true tone of it.

8. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Here's probably the ultimate piece of advice try to blow thing not suck at it I really can't understand why such an inteligent person as GijsVis tries to suck a piccolo trumpet when you blow a normal one

Er hem

retreats for tin hat

9. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I suck horns all the time, it's nice if you fill them with beer :lol:
    I like the taste of old unwashed vintage horns if I suck them (not).

No I just don't like (playing) the piccolo trumpet, I just play high on my regular Bb, good for training as well.

10. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Horn filled with acidic beer surely a recipe for Wed Wot